• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blown Whistle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhistleBlow

What is the name of your state?From Washington, my employer conspired to make me want to quit. Just mind games on a day-to-day basis that made my employment unbearable, I finally stressed out and was placed on stress disability leave for two weeks, then I terminated employment. I complained to my supervisors on two occasions, both related to unethical behavior by employees. I know that there was illegal contract influence going on, but don’t have any hard evidence. I have filed for unemployment under “good cause” termination and have a report from a psychologist stated that my story fit a pattern and that I should quit. Do I have any chance at all of getting unemployment benefits at a hearing. Witnesses are in short supply, if they know anything they are involved, or don’t want to jeopardize their own employment.

Beth3

Do I have any chance at all of getting unemployment benefits at a hearing. I'm afraid that's just impossible to predict. There are two issues (1) whether you had "good cause" to quit and still receive benefits and (2) whether you are physically available for work. It's not clear whether your psychologist has released you to return to work.

If you can demonstrate that your employer engaged in illegal behavior (not just unethical behavior) that directly involved you, such as you were ordered to violate a law, then the odds would be in your favor. Simply quitting because you believe illegal activity was taking place is not likely to be good cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">