• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Render to Aid/P.I.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

munchkinluv

What is the name of your state?Texas
I was arrested for failure to render to aid and public intoxication. I hit this guy from behind who was making a u-turn in front of me. I missed the break and sprained my ankle. I moved the car a couple of blocks and pulled into a well-lit Car Wash (it was 1am). The police report says i moved my vehicle 300 feet and parked in the car wash. The people I hit pulled into the car wash and realized i had been drinking and called the police. No one was hurt except for my ankle. How is that failure to render to aid. I was scared and startled and the next thing i remember im being given a field sobriety test and taken to jail. I've had a DWI four years ago and a DUI 6 years ago. Do you think I will serve jail time. Shoudl i try to get a lawyer to fight this or should i just face up and take it and just try to plea bargain.

S

shell007

I've had a DWI four years ago and a DUI 6 years ago. Do you think I will serve jail time. Shoudl i try to get a lawyer to fight this or should i just face up and take it and just try to plea bargain.
#1 I don't know if you will serve jail time, but you should! Maybe you'll learn your lesson.

#2 Instead of waisting your time and everyone elses trying to get out taking responsibility for your own actions by getting a lawyer.....why don't you consider spending your time in more valuable ways by attending AA.

#3 Is it going to take " KILLING SOMEONE " before you get it?

QUIT DRIVING DRUNK....THERE......PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

how dare you come here and as for help when you know you were driving drunk. did you seriously think you were going to get a response in your favor?
here is my advise. stop drinking and driving. because of people like you is why both my mom and family dog have major back and spine problems. so my second piece of advise to you. go to court and stand up like a man/or woman and take your punishment, because clearly you diserve what you get.

CdwJava

munchkinluv said:
What is the name of your state?Texas
I was arrested for failure to render to aid and public intoxication. I hit this guy from behind who was making a u-turn in front of me. I missed the break and sprained my ankle. I moved the car a couple of blocks and pulled into a well-lit Car Wash (it was 1am). The police report says i moved my vehicle 300 feet and parked in the car wash. The people I hit pulled into the car wash and realized i had been drinking and called the police. No one was hurt except for my ankle. How is that failure to render to aid. I was scared and startled and the next thing i remember im being given a field sobriety test and taken to jail. I've had a DWI four years ago and a DUI 6 years ago. Do you think I will serve jail time. Shoudl i try to get a lawyer to fight this or should i just face up and take it and just try to plea bargain.
You definitely need an attorney. Chances are this is a felony in TX and you likely face prison time.

It's failure to render aid because you left the scene of the collision. You are required to stop at the scene - not a couple blocks away.

- Carl

munchkinluv

i apologize for making anyone upset. I do have a lawyer and I am seeing a drug and alcohol counselor, its been 6 weeks now that ive been seeing her. I am also in AA and have been sober for 42 days. Its not been easy. I was hoping they would put a breathalyzer in my tahoe and give me 5 years prohbation or something. I know you are quick to judge and I understand but I really do want some help and want to change my life and it will never happen again I can guarantee you that. I am terrified of what i've done. im just a scared little girl asking if anyone knows i could be put into jail. i dont wanna go to jail im terrified. i will take it like a man in court i have every intention of facing up to my poor choice that i made that night. i dont wanna BS anybody. I just pulled off the road into the most well lit place, i dont see how thats a hit and run. I could of just drove home if i really was trying to run. arent you suppose to get off the road when you get into an accident?

CdwJava

You are expected to pull off at the nearest safe location and render aid ... it's going to be quite a tretch to argue that you were unable to pull over before that.

- Carl

munchkinluv

its a state highway with no emergency lanes only stores pizza places, chinese food, etc (its in a very small town) if i didnt pull over 300ft into the car wash i would have been in the middle of the road and the person i hit was making a uturn onto the other side of traffic where he had to turn around and come back to me at the car wash. its stated in the police report that i moved the car 300ft and pulled into a car wash.

CdwJava

munchkinluv said:
its a state highway with no emergency lanes only stores pizza places, chinese food, etc (its in a very small town) if i didnt pull over 300ft into the car wash i would have been in the middle of the road and the person i hit was making a uturn onto the other side of traffic where he had to turn around and come back to me at the car wash. its stated in the police report that i moved the car 300ft and pulled into a car wash.
Well, it's something to argue in court, but the layout of the street and your actions at the scene will likely determine whether the charge will stick or not. But it sounds like there were ample driveways since all those businesses were in the area. Unless they were all blacked out, it's likely that an argument will be made that you intended to flee or tried to until you saw the other party turn around to come back after you.

If you haven't already done so, contact an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">