• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not wearing glasses,scared of court appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAmd

illinois. was caught speeding 38 mph on 25 zone. was asked how come i was not wearing my eyeglasses. told the policeman that i usually wear contacts but did not have it at the time because of allergies (contacts were irritating and causing tearing). he issued me two tickets, one for speeding and the other for not wearing eyeglasses. am getting jittery about court appearance,never had been in one. is it as bad as its portrayed in traffic lawyer sites? will the court take away my license or cause my insurance to go up.what do i tell the judge when i get there to better my chances.should i ask to go to traffic school?

BelizeBreeze

The court will not take away your license unless you have been doing this over and over again or you have other violations that are more serious.

If you do not have a pair of glasses to wear when you have such allergies, that will NOT be an excuse. Pay the fines and go buy a pair of glasses for the next time you can't wear your contacts.

JAmd

don't mind paying fines but would want some advise on how not to get it on my driver's record. have not had any appearances in court previously. has had no previous incident other than a speeding violation 3 years ago.

BelizeBreeze

JAmd said:
don't mind paying fines but would want some advise on how not to get it on my driver's record. have not had any appearances in court previously. has had no previous incident other than a speeding violation 3 years ago.
Then hire an attorney. Because we can't tell you who the judge is going to be, who the prosecutor is going to be, what their attitude will be and what they think of your prior violations and inability to learn.

trisk

I just went to traffic court last Wednesday (Johnson County KS) and it wasn't bad at all. Didn't even talk to the judge, just sat down with the prosecutor. Be nice, kiss some behinds, wear your glasses... There's nothing to be too worried about, anyway, they won't give you the chair for speeding or anything. You'll probably get fined, and here at least you can pay double the amount of the ticket to keep it off your record.

trisk

Oh, and traffic lawyer sites want you to hire a traffic lawyer, why else would they exist? Of course they'll tell you it's going to be bad, if they told people it's not really that horrible, who would hire a traffic lawyer (-:

When I went to court it was like a big assembly line - file in, register, sit, wait for your name to be called, judge reads the charges, advises you on your options, takes your plea, tells you what to do next. I was honestly expecting a lot worse, but a nice old guy addressed the group and explained what was going to happen and what the various pleas meant, and how to get a lawyer or a continuance. It's not like Law and Order with the TD Waterhouse guy yelling at you on the witness stand. Hell, they held traffic court in the city council chambers...

Oddly enough, the A-L segment of the population seemed to screw up badly last month, we out-numbered the M-Z group 10-1 during check in (-:

JAmd

hi trisk.got through traffic court this week. you were right.it wasn't that bad. took all of probably 1 1/2 minutes with the judge. got off with court supervision + fines (court costs were horrible $60 for each offense, so went out $221 poorer- $75 for speeding, $25 for glasses and $120 for court costs : (

anyway vow from hereon to drive like an old lady WITH glasses

justalayman

JAmd said:
hi trisk.got through traffic court this week. you were right.it wasn't that bad. took all of probably 1 1/2 minutes with the judge. got off with court supervision + fines (court costs were horrible $60 for each offense, so went out $221 poorer- $75 for speeding, $25 for glasses and $120 for court costs : (

anyway vow from hereon to drive like an old lady WITH glasses
Congratulations; obviously a lesson learned....go now in peace and speed no more

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">