• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference check without permission!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drsleep

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have recently applied to a company in my area who is a competitor of my current company, when applying I told them that I did not want my current employer to know until I accepted their offer and had given my 2 week notice. On my application I circled NO to "may we contact this employer?" and gave the reason that I could lose my job if they found out, but they could call AFTER I accepted their offer and had put in my notice that they could then verify. My boss called me at home today screaming that this company had called him for a reference when I have not even agreed to accept this new job because we are still in salary negotiations. I am not sure of my security at my current job now.

Do I have any legal rights ?

BelizeBreeze

Sure you do. You can sue them IF you lose your job and IF you do so because of the call and IF you can prove that you have standing and IF you can prove that your indication on the application was a valid contract and IF you have about $5,000 to begin a civil action and IF you have about 2 years......

pattytx

The company has no legal obligation to comply with your request. Most reputable companies do not do this (I never would), but there is no law against it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">