• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intolerable Working Conditions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildenny

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have been working for the same company for over 8 years. There are only 3 people in our department: the department head, another person and myself. Last August, there was a new person appointed as department head and it has been unpleasant ever since. Although most of the hostility from the department head has been directed at the other person, it is a tiny (approximately 15" x 15") office, and the environment is always tense for everyone. What usually happens is: Department Head harshly criticizes Other Employee (usually for some minor reason), Other Person snaps back and/or argues with Department Head, sniping goes back and forth ad infinitum, Other Person attempts to solicit my opinion/sympathy when Department Head steps away, Department Head retaliates by making up some new 'rule' to prove her authority. This has been going on every single day for the last three months. I have tried asking Other Person to not involve me, but it's impossible to ignore the tension and hostility that is constantly present. It's like Chinese Water Torture. I have asked my boss' boss to move me to another desk closeby but outside the department, but she declined (there's a head-in-the-same mentality present).
In addition, I am now (as a result of the 'spillover effect') getting monthly reviews, instead of the yearly reviews that were the norm. I believe we are the only department in the company (which numbers around 200 people) to be subjected to monthly reviews. My reviews have not been harshly negative, but there is definitely nit-picking and an overbearing tone of "not good enough" (I've never had one negative review in my eight years of employment prior to this).
All of this is creating a great deal of mental, emotional and physical stress for me. I am looking for another job, but in the meantime, would this be considered 'good cause' if I quit before I lose my mind? (I'm not trying to be flippant, it truly is an unhealthy environment)

C

CHEW MY SHORTS

wildenny said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have been working for the same company for over 8 years. There are only 3 people in our department: the department head, another person and myself. Last August, there was a new person appointed as department head and it has been unpleasant ever since. Although most of the hostility from the department head has been directed at the other person, it is a tiny (approximately 15" x 15") office, and the environment is always tense for everyone. What usually happens is: Department Head harshly criticizes Other Employee (usually for some minor reason), Other Person snaps back and/or argues with Department Head, sniping goes back and forth ad infinitum, Other Person attempts to solicit my opinion/sympathy when Department Head steps away, Department Head retaliates by making up some new 'rule' to prove her authority. This has been going on every single day for the last three months. I have tried asking Other Person to not involve me, but it's impossible to ignore the tension and hostility that is constantly present. It's like Chinese Water Torture. I have asked my boss' boss to move me to another desk closeby but outside the department, but she declined (there's a head-in-the-same mentality present).
In addition, I am now (as a result of the 'spillover effect') getting monthly reviews, instead of the yearly reviews that were the norm. I believe we are the only department in the company (which numbers around 200 people) to be subjected to monthly reviews. My reviews have not been harshly negative, but there is definitely nit-picking and an overbearing tone of "not good enough" (I've never had one negative review in my eight years of employment prior to this).
All of this is creating a great deal of mental, emotional and physical stress for me. I am looking for another job, but in the meantime, would this be considered 'good cause' if I quit before I lose my mind? (I'm not trying to be flippant, it truly is an unhealthy environment)

My response:

Nothing is illegal in your post. Unpleasant, perhaps, but not illegal. Did you ever wonder why employees of the U.S. Postal Service go "Postal"? Well, now it's your turn.
IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth3

All of this is creating a great deal of mental, emotional and physical stress for me. I am looking for another job, but in the meantime, would this be considered 'good cause' if I quit before I lose my mind? If your question is whether you will be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit, the answer is almost certainly no.

wildenny

Ah yes, that was my question. Well, that's unfortunate but sadly, not surprising. I like your quote about how people treat waitresses. That's always been a "litmus test" for me as well. Thank you for your help (thanks "chew my shorts" too...at least I don't feel like I'm just being a malcontent)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">