• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sudden Acceleration Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobertaA

Illinois

While travelling on Interstate 94 in Chicago, I accelerated to change lanes. Not only did the acceleration device in my 1988 Grand Marquis stick, it increased speed. My daughter was sitting in the front seat next to me. With both feet on the brakes, I could not stop or hardly slow the car. I could smell burning rubber and the engine was shaking.

We rear ended and totalled a Jeep Cheroke waiting for the red light on the exit ramp. We then veered and smashed and totalled our car into a cement reataining wall. I estimate our speed at the time of impact between 50-55 mph. It could have been much more.

When the ambulances arrived, my daughter and I were in such pain we could not turn to look at the vehicle we had struck. They took us away on boards and in neck braces. Later the woman we hit phoned me and said she was knocked unconcious. She had looked in her rear view mirror and saw us coming - said a quick -Please don't let me die- prayer. When she woke, her seat had broken free and her feet were near her head. She began yelling for her baby. The back of her Jeep was in her back seat. The rescure workers looked in the back where her baby usually sat. Thank God her child was not with her that day.

The three of us suffered soft tissue damage, muscle damage, tailbone injuries but nothing cut or broken. We were given the conventional morphine & Vicodin because of the intense pain we were in, observed overnight and X-rayed left and right. They also drew blood to check if our hearts were bruised. When the ambulance chaser lawyer mistakenly phoned me thinking I was the "crashee", I learned our injuries were not sufficient enough for him to represent me against the Ford Motor Company. But he wanted to represent my daughter in sueing me. In reality, any one of us women could have been severely injured. And really, would you like to go for a ride like that because the company who made your vehicle wanted to save a couple bucks?

Since then I have researched on the Internet and found that Ford knows all about the faulty acceleration device in some of their cruise controlled cars. They originally used a more expensive part, then switched to the cheaper accident causing part, and now use a more expensive safer part. They had a recall for the ignition switch in my car but not the acceleration part.

This accident has a $50,000 price tag thus far. Not including the woman I hit is sueing my insurance company. This will be on my insurance record and what did I do? Buy a Ford.

I originally phoned the Ford Motor Company on October 7th and was told to keep the car in the pound as they might want to inspect it and someone would get back to me in 2-3 days. Nobody has gotten back to me and the car is scheduled for demolition. I have phoned Ford at least 5 times, sent at least 5 e-mails and 3 letters in the US Mails.

I have posted this accident on two different lawyer forums with no response. Can I represent myself against Ford? How do I do that? The really sad part is I know this accident is going to happen again to someone else and maybe the outcome will be worse. I can't just sit and do nothing. Any information appreciated. Roberta

I only found two recalls for 1988 Grand Marquis and neither of them had anything to do with the accelerator. The vehicle is old. Is it possible that it is a mechanical problem due to age and not necessarily a defect in that particular car?

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS NHTSA Recall ID Number: 96V071000
Recall Date: APR 25, 1996
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Potential Units Affected: 7900000
Summary: THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.
Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE OVERHEATING, SMOKE, AND POSSIBLY FIRE IN THE STEERING COLUMN AREA OF THE VEHICLE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY,
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS NHTSA Recall ID Number: 88V028000
Recall Date: MAR 08, 1988
Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:RETRACTOR
Potential Units Affected: 21200
Summary: AUTOMATIC RETRACTOR FOR SEAT BELTS FOR DUAL FACING REAR SEATS MAY BE INSTALLED IN AN IMPROPER LOCATION.
Consequence: SEAT BELT COULD BIND BETWEEN SEAT CUSHION AND SEAT BACKCAUSING THE RETRACTOR TO BE SLUGGISH OR UNABLE TO TAKE UP EXCESS BELT SLACK.
Remedy: REMOVE AND PROPERLY INSTALL THE RIGHT AUXILIARY SEAT BELTS.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY,

RobertaA

Age & Mileage

Even though the car is a 1988, it only has 90,000 original miles. Some parts of the car have an owner's responsiblity to be maintained. But I don't think this part can be maintained.

You Are Guilty

I have yet to see an "unexpected acceleration" case that wasn't a result of driver error.

Also, I used to drive an 88 Marq and I have never heard of a recall on cruise control components, nor does a search reveal any. I'd like to hear more on this theory.

Did the actual accelerator pedal stick down or were you using cruise control and that stuck?

If this isn't a known problem with your car then I would think you would need an expert to look at your car and see if there are any obvious defects (but accelerators sticking seems to be a common problem in vehicles and is not attributed to defects in most cases after googling this...)

RobertaA

Pedal Not Stuck

No the pedal did not stick to the floor. It was completely up. I pumped it 3 times hoping to unstick it , but nothing happend. And no, the cruise control was not on. And also, ~ there was not a recall on the cruise control mechanisms. But I have been on a couple websites that mention the problem of the acceleration sticking on Fords with cruise control. I'll have to find their addresses and stick the URL in here. And NO, I am not guilty of driver error. I was taking my daughter to the dentist. By God, how can you make that kind of an error at that speed coming up to a red light. You'd have to be stoned, sleeping or having a medical complication. I was wide awake trying to stop the damn car!

You Are Guilty

EvilWizard said:
Good read on sudden acceleration:

http://mfes.com/suddenaccel.html

In my opinion I think you will be out of luck unless you can get an expert mechanic to verify a defect exists.
That is an excellent site and saves me from having to explain myself. The Audi debacle he references was shown to be BS. And there were subsequent similar allegations against Jeep, which were eventually shown to be a result of people not knowing which pedal was the gas and which was the brake. (The Jeeps in question had their pedals "offset" from the typical straight-ahead orientation found in most vehicles and rather than actually looking where they were stepping, people were just stomping down and "hoping for the best").

End result, unintended acceleration is almost always driver error. Even if your brakes don't work (a huge 'if'), you can always still: use your e-brake, put the car in neutral or turn the ignition off.

RobertaA

Throttle Problem

Thank you EvilWizard for the website info. I have read it and now believe what caused my accident may have been a stuck throttle. I know I had both feet, that is, both feet like in 2 feet ~ on the brakes and was standing up as best I could in the car before realization we were not going to stop set in. You remember a thing like that quite clearly. And I now know I could have put the car in neutral, but at the time had no idea. No one ever trained me what to do if your throttle sticks. And who knows what the tight car and semi-truck expressway traffic (Chicago)would have done if I just turned the engine off and coasted. I'll never know. Good thing is the website you directed me to said chances of being involved in a sudden acceleration accident are one in nine lifetimes. I don't have to worry about that one anymore. Maybe lightning!

You must like the Pet Detective. He's a funny guy!

You Are Guilty

A forensic engineer would need about 10 seconds with your (post-accident) car to determine whether it was a stuck throttle (on the 88 Grand Marquis, it used a simple cable from the accelerator to the throttle body and any 'kink' severe enough to jam the cable would still be present after the accident).

Check the internet for local experts and see how much they'd charge you to take a look.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">