• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yleviel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

I recently lost a job which earned me about 50k a year which I had worked at for 7 months. I previously worked at a different company which employed me for 3 years but only the last half year was as a full time employee (2 1/2 years were as a contractor for the company).

When I lost the original job, I filed unemployment and recieved benefits that were reduced due to the fact that I was also a full-time student. Now that I have been layed off from the second company, when I filed for unemployment, I was paid benefits for the previous company's earnings and not the new one. The difference in the unemployment benefits pay is huge ($160 a week vs. $500).

After speaking with a DUA representative, they informed me that they could only take my old job earnings into account and would be eligible to receieve more benefits in Feb. 2006 (a year after I filed unemployment from the first company).

Is there any action I can take to compel the DUA that they should take the new job earnings and the fact that I am no longer a full time student into consideration to raise the benefits? I remember when my mom's insurance took me off for not being a full time student, my job allowed me to get health insurance even though it was not the appropriate time of the year to do so which they cited as a "Life Changing Event". At this rate, I can't even afford to pay my rent.

Thanks,
YL

seniorjudge

After speaking with a DUA representative, they informed me that they could only take my old job earnings into account and would be eligible to receieve more benefits in Feb. 2006 (a year after I filed unemployment from the first company).

That is correct.

Q: Is there any action I can take to compel the DUA that they should take the new job earnings and the fact that I am no longer a full time student into consideration to raise the benefits?

A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">