• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yet another Fairfax Reckless Summons (speed)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timetoslowdown

What is the name of your state? VA

I screwed up, no doubt about it. 85/50, on 495 passing the 95-S exit while trying to pass slower trucks in left lane to get on 395-N.

46.2.862 Reckless Driving (Laser) Cloudy. 3:22pm. Had gotten off work early and was damn excited to get home.

This is a pretty fast section of the road, but that's no excuse. I was blatantly passing alot of people, as there was wide open road just ahead. Nailed in the middle of that move.

Few words were spoken. He showed me the 85 on his gun, asked for license and registration. I handed it over, he came back and said I have to show up in court at whatever date.

I've read alot of posts here, coming to the conclusion that Fairfax is very strict. I've been advised to take the Defensive Driving course, which I will do very soon as the court date is in about 2 months.

I've had one speeding tkt in VA about 6-7 years ago I think, and the most recent tkt I've gotten was in NC for speeding about 4 years ago. Paid both fines, no biggie.

Truthfully, I was not aware of the severity of "reckless" driving. And I don't really think I was being "reckless", I was passing a group of cars and just going too fast to get it done.

I am scared. I can't afford a lawyer, unless it's REALLY cheap, and that may not be worth it.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I realize my mistake, bad habit, now I just want to fix it the best way possible, without super high insurance rates and a criminal record....

timetoslowdown

Please, can someone just throw out a success rate or something. With my record, what will happen to me? I really know nothing about my situation. I figure I better get a lawyer, but can someone just make me feel a little more optimistic?

I figure I can throw, at most (which will leave me starving and unable to pay rent), about $1,000 for a lawyer if someone thinks my chances of getting this issue reduced will be that much greater with one.

I have this strange idea that representing yourself makes your seem more accountable and sorry for your actions rather than hiring someone so you don't have to deal with it. That's more proof I know nothing about law/courts, etc, I suppose.

cranger

I, too, was cited for reckless in Fairfax a little over a year ago (82/55 on the beltway). I had no leg to stand on regarding the validity of the citation, much like yours. My observations are from sitting in court for two mornings, once to just see what goes on, and again for my case. Those who plead guilty and throw themselves at the mercy of the court never get the charge reduced, though their penalties are pretty light. Not that light when you consider it's a misdemeanor on your record, though. Anyway, as a ballpark, I'd say with your record I'd anticipate something like $250 fine, and very slim chance of a short suspension.

I'd say the only chance you have to get it reduced (barring pleading not guilty and having some VALID defense), is to hire a lawyer. There are SO MANY people moving through there, with the "trials" being so short (~15-20 seconds on average), the judge isn't going to consider whether you're contrite or anything like that (unless you're disrespectful). In Fairfax, only a lawyer can speak to the prosecutor and try to plea bargain. My lawyer was able to get mine reduced to Improper Driving, a simple traffic offense. With your pretty good record and not totally heinous speed, I'd say you have a shot at that, too. But not without a lawyer. I think I paid $850 for mine, and that included two appearances (continued the first time because I drew a hardline judge). I also interviewed a lawyer that charged $600, but I think you get what you pay for.

Anyway, hope that sheds some light on the matter for you from a tiny bit of first hand experience. Good luck, and slow down! (I sure did!)

Chris

timetoslowdown

Hey thanks for the reply.

I've been doing alot of research and see that most mid 80mph cases are turned into improper driving with a fine, but that's with legal rep. With my decent record, I figure I have a shot of coming out relatively unscathed, well, other than financially...you wouldn't happen to want to refer me that law firm you went with through a PM or something? So far everyone I've looked at is $1000-2500...it will hurt considerably.

Again, thanks for the reply....I've been really beating myself up over this, you're damn right, I will be slowing down...

cranger

When I try to e-mail you through a link in your profile, it says you don't accept e-mails. I can't find where to send a PM, either... Open yourself up to e-mails and I'll be happy to send you a referral.

timetoslowdown

Hey Cranger, sorry about that, I changed it so I should be able to get your email now.

Again, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">