• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a "business"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

americamamushi

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I've recently thought about trying to start my own business (just myself, no employees or anything) to try and generate an income from home due to my anxiety disorder (can't leave the house alone, so I can't get a normal job) If I was going to start making things and selling them (online and/or offline) what kind of things would I need to worry about before doing this? In order to resell things would they need to be purchased from a supplier? (ie. Terra cotta pots. Would I be able to buy them from a local craft store, paint them, and resell them? Or would I not be able to purchase things I was going to sell from a normal store) Also, in the case of something like gift baskets, are there any restrictions about what can and can't be put in there? (ie. Would I be able to put nestle/hershey/ect products in, or would I need to take special steps in order to be able to sell them or use products made by certain companies)

Please just inform me of any things I would have to do before starting this, or problems that could arise legally (not legal problems that would always arise, but ones that potentially could), at what point of income I would need to deal with taxes (or if no matter what income I make i'd need to file), and if possibly, just an average ball park of costs (or just an average total cost) of any registrations, ect. I also would run this out of the home if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend me :)

liquid8or

I think that you would need to worry about scaring the crap out of yourself over new financial problems when your start up business takes a while to get going.

shellandty, you need to ring in here.

BelizeBreeze

americamamushi said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I've recently thought about trying to start my own business (just myself, no employees or anything) to try and generate an income from home due to my anxiety disorder (can't leave the house alone, so I can't get a normal job) If I was going to start making things and selling them (online and/or offline) what kind of things would I need to worry about before doing this? In order to resell things would they need to be purchased from a supplier? (ie. Terra cotta pots. Would I be able to buy them from a local craft store, paint them, and resell them? Or would I not be able to purchase things I was going to sell from a normal store) Also, in the case of something like gift baskets, are there any restrictions about what can and can't be put in there? (ie. Would I be able to put nestle/hershey/ect products in, or would I need to take special steps in order to be able to sell them or use products made by certain companies)

Please just inform me of any things I would have to do before starting this, or problems that could arise legally (not legal problems that would always arise, but ones that potentially could), at what point of income I would need to deal with taxes (or if no matter what income I make i'd need to file), and if possibly, just an average ball park of costs (or just an average total cost) of any registrations, ect. I also would run this out of the home if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend me :)
This is not a 'how to succeed in business' website. The best we can do for you is to point you to a number of assets freely available to you IF you can leave the home.

The best source of information on all aspects of starting and running your business, taxes, expenses, finances and legal issues is the Small Business Administration. Look in your phone book.

americamamushi

I know this isn't a "How to succeed" in business website. Since this is a legal advice site I just wondered if someone could run down some of the basic things like I mentioned so I knew that if I did do this what kind of legal issues I'd be running into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">