• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

burned out taillamp ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proteks

What is the name of your state? MO

Got a ticket for tail light out 3 months ago. Cop seemed upset with me for some reason. Tailgates me for about 4 miles, I had the cruise control on, really close like NASCAR. Then falls back to 100 yards then back up close with lights going and a couple of spot lights on me so bright that I couldn't see anything to the side or behind me other than light. So it did take me longer to pull over. First he said that my plates were not registered and before I fully answered "I just got plates two weeks ago" he ask what I was hiding ( several times) before I answered he asked how it could pass inspection with a tail light out? Again, I couldn't answer fully and he was asking what I was hiding. So I open the glove box got my insurance card and drivers license and handed it to him. He filled out the ticket gave it to me. It took over two months to recieve anything from the circuit clerk.
I don't want to plead guilty. So when I go court to set the real court date can it be set like 40 or 50 days later or does it need to be set sooner.
Can I ask for or supena(sp) the tape from his camera (I assume he had one) showing my tail light actually out or does everyone assume he's right. Would the police keep the tape from that day? Is that my only way of winning? I really can't prove that I'm innocent (Other than I passed inspection two weeks prior).

Last edited:

efflandt

I have never gotten a ticket for a light out (just a warning). What did you have to do to fix the tail light and how much was the ticket? Maybe the officer was being overzealous, but did you really stand there and let him write you a ticket if your tail lights were working fine?

Proteks

He really was pissed about something before I had a chance to piss him off. He did ask if I wanted to get out of the car and look, but I declined. I don't like to get out of the car on the side of the highway unless it was absolutly necessary. It was darkand there was traffic.
I was hoping to put this off till after the holidays since it has taken so long. Is it better to go to court before or after Christmas?

sukharev

Fix it

Just fix the car, take a picture of it and receipt for repairs to the court. Get there early (at least 30 minutes before the time on ticket), be one of the first and get ready for a coin toss. Does not hirt to tell the judge your story, as well as mention that the light just broke (if that was the case, since the car just passed inspection). 50/50 chance of getting it dismissed.

Proteks

It was not out. No repair bill.
I'm confident I'll be found guilty I would just like to push it off for a couple a months.

Proteks said:
I'm confident I'll be found guilty I would just like to push it off for a couple a months.
If it was no out, why would you be found guilty? Also, being that you wouldn't get out and look, how do you know it wasn't out? Did the police car with bright flashing lights not provide enough lighting/warning?

sukharev

Proteks said:
Don't be cheap. If you replaced it yourself, then at least you should have some sort of receipt. If it was not out, and in proper working order, still go to the repair shop and have it inspected, receive a confirmation it is working properly. The judge would probably not be interested in details, just the fact it's working now.

Don't push it off - you have no reason to. The fine is likely small (if you are found guilty) and if insurance cares, they will find out either way in a couple of month.

S

shell007

Why can't you just pay the fine and be done with it? Seems like your time and aggrivation would be worth more $$ than fighting this little ticket?

Why was he asking you what you were hiding? What happened to the rest of that part of the story?

Note: The cop car may very well have had a camera mounted on the dash which recorded video of your car with the tail light out?

Proteks

I really know the car very well. I would be able to tell if there is a problem with that circuit. I know what else is powered by that circuit. I have checked the components and wiring on that circuit.
I don't don't know how I'm being cheap????
I really don't know if it was actually working when I was pulled over. The dash cam would tell.
If he only had flashing lights at a reasonable distance I could have pulled over quickly, but really only saw white light in rear view and side mirrors. There was some traffic and just didn't want to change lanes without knowing if there was a car in the next lane, sorry. I slowly changed lanes. You know I'm slowing down people are passing me on the left can't see anything on the right rear. He immediately put the spot lights on me...Is that common? Never had that done to me.
Don't push it off??? Why not ? It took over 2 months for them and 1 month for the first court date. I'm really just want to continue at their pace.
I think the fine is $100 it is hard to read the carbon scribble on that line and I haven't called clerk yet.

Why can't you just pay the fine and be done with it? Thats funny!!!!!!

I think he was trying to catch me in a lie.
He said my license wasn't registered which is why he pulled me over.
Asked what I was hiding (three time, not in a row) My car is spotless on the inside nothing was there I even opened the glove box to get my insurance card. Left it opened (the only thing in there)
How my car could pass inspection.
I really couldn't get a full answer out.
I assumed it was some kind of tactic he was trained to use.
Isn't being pulled over for tail light out enough of cause to search? That's how they get their million dollar drug busts?

Seems like your time and aggrivation would be worth more $$ than fighting this little ticket?
I have an ex....that's an aggravation! This is a max of two days of entertainment at the court house. I don't think there is much of a difference between guilty and send money versus being found guilty and paying??

Is this considered a moving violation? I like how lawyers are able to get speeding tickets knocked down to a parking ticket. Seems like a scam or magic. I doubt I will be able to do anything like that.

I have no problem with being found guilty. Is it too much to ask them to prove it with more than the cop saying it was out ? I thought all cops had the camera on the dash. Is it too much to ask to see it ? Still image anything? If it is only his word against mine do you think there is any chance I would win??? Cops don't lie.

Best case senerio: I get an apology and case is dropped. Stop laughing.
Worst case : I have to pay a fine for something that should of been a warning after he found out I didn't fit any profile that they don't supposely use.

CdwJava

Not all cops have cameras. Some states have more than others, and I really don't know about MO. TX has the most as they have a state fund that pays for them, and CA probably has the least as they are too flippin' expensive.

The light wouldn't need to be "out" to be malfunctioning. One of the filaments can be burned out ... it could have been loose int he socket and flickered ... the lens may be (or have been) covered by something giving it the appearance of being out or very dim ... there are really a lot of things that could make a light out of compliance.

You may have nothing to lose by going to court on the citation. Chances are the officer will win, but ya never know.

- Carl

sukharev

I understand your frustration, and it may be largely due to the fact you have not experienced it before. Try to get a big picture here: government needs your money! Don't be cheap, help them out.

On a more serious note, try to listen and you would find it helpful. I would repeat my advice again: go to the car shop, have the light inspected, get the paper that it functions properly, that's all you need. You are not likely to be able to prove it was not malfunctioning. You could have fixed it afterwards, who knows (and this is what the judge may say). Just show you learned your lesson, and expect 50/50 chance the judge would show mercy. You can explain why $100 is a steep fine for something you not necessarily were aware of (as you have proof, the car was inspected 2 weeks ago). Be as polite as you can be, and dressed well. Show up in court 1 hour in advance, and you may be the first in line - that often helps. Plead not guilty - you do have a good excuse (see above). However, take judge's decision as largely random (he has seen it all, and would likely not be impressed). Again, the key is to show you have made sure the car is functioning properly, and you are sorry that you did not know the light was malfunctioning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">