• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee cheating on expense account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rudell

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY
My husband is taking over as president of the company in 6 weeks. He was reviewing an employee's expense account and found that his gas receipts were questionable. He would fill up in one state, then fill up the same day or very shortly after in his home town. Clearly, his wife's vehicle was being filled. My husband is wondering what to do next. Confront him, get an attorney, ask for restitution, etc. He knows that if it's not handled correctly, it could backfire on him.

Bobby22

rudell said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY
My husband is taking over as president of the company in 6 weeks. He was reviewing an employee's expense account and found that his gas receipts were questionable. He would fill up in one state, then fill up the same day or very shortly after in his home town. Clearly, his wife's vehicle was being filled. My husband is wondering what to do next. Confront him, get an attorney, ask for restitution, etc. He knows that if it's not handled correctly, it could backfire on him.

You did state he is becoming the President of the company? He should already know what to do. I would assume!

rudell

Well, thanks for your smug comments, Bobby. My ex husband was a doctor and got swindled by an employee who walked away scott free with not a smudge on her resume. Yes, the evidence is there, but what if he says he got the receipts confused? It's his relative who is the current president who is leaving. I'm sure he hasn't checked these reports. It's a small company and my husband has to deal with the dishonesty and the legal ramifications of termination, etc. Would he have to pay unemployment? Is this grounds for dismissal if he pays back the money? I was looking for real answers here, not snide comments, Bobby.Doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Would he have to pay unemployment?

That depends on the laws of your state and how much evidence there is that the employee was stealing from the company (which is what cheating on your expense report amounts to).

Is this grounds for dismissal if he pays back the money?

Your husband does not need "grounds" to fire him; however, this would be considered a justified firing regardless of whether he pays the money back or no, in my opinion.

rudell

Thanks CDG. I will look into the state laws. It will be hard to retain an employee once you've learned that he has been pilfering all this time. It makes you wonder what else he will do once you realize that honesty isn't a priority.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will be perfectly within your rights to fire him. If it were me, I'd be willing to run the risk that he'd get unemployment just to have him gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">