• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I risk if my employer finds out that I'm looking elsewhere?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doublechecker

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon. I have worked for my employer for a while and it is time to move on. I want to start interviewing and posting my resume. If my employer finds out, can I get fired for this? :confused:
What rights/benefits to I risk losing?

pattytx

Yes, they can fire you if they find out, because such firing is not prohibited by law. If you are fired because of this, you would still probably qualify for unemployment benefits. Any company benefits that would be accorded an employee terminated for any other reason (except "just cause", which is a very high bar to leap) should be available to you, as well.

doublechecker

my boss told my coworkers that I'm looking for work

Oregon- I told my office manager that I'd need some kind of incentive to stay at my job and acknowledged that I am looking elsewhere for work. She told my boss, and now my boss has announced to all my coworkers that I'm looking for work. Do I have any rights to privacy in this matter?

gawm

doublechecker said:
Oregon- I told my office manager that I'd need some kind of incentive to stay at my job and acknowledged that I am looking elsewhere for work. She told my boss, and now my boss has announced to all my coworkers that I'm looking for work. Do I have any rights to privacy in this matter?
should not of told anybody you were looking elsewhere, especially if you thought you could get fired for it.

doublechecker

what kind of hazing is illegal?

Oregon. I agree that it was tacky and done with no tact. But I sense that it was done as a tactic. I feel that I'm being ushered to the door and I'm concerned this is only the beginning. Can you tell me-what type of hazing is illegal?

Last edited:

doublechecker

unemployment benefits for part time worker?

If I do get fired, and I work an average for 25-30 hours per week, am I eligible for all unemployment benefits? I get full health/dental benefits at my job, so I wonder about those, too. I really don't want to get fired, but if its going to happen, I'd like to be a little prepared.

pattytx

Depends on how much you have earned over the lookback period. Start here:
http://egov.oregon.gov/EMPLOY/UI/about_benefits.shtml

Relative to benefits, unless you are terminated for "just cause", which, although subjective, is still a pretty high bar to leap, you must be offered the option to continue medical insurance (and possibly dental) under COBRA, although you would have to pay the full cost (what is being deducted now, plus the employer's share) plus, if the company requires it, a 2% administration fee. Can be very expensive. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">