• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop at red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atomical

What is the name of your state?

Illinois

The light was malfunctioning and blinking red. I failed to stop. Is there any way out of this? The cop was sitting right there. Could I use the defense that he should have been directing traffic?

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Atomical said:
What is the name of your state?

Illinois

The light was malfunctioning and blinking red. I failed to stop. Is there any way out of this? The cop was sitting right there. Could I use the defense that he should have been directing traffic?
Hell yeah! You can also argue that the City was negligent for failing to fix the light in a timely manner and exposing the driving public to unnecessary danger, or that the police department's training was negligent since the officer was just sitting in his cruiser, or that the laws requiring a full stop on blinking red lights are unconstitutional and violate your rights.

Or, you could just smack yourself in the head with a brick for being such a dumbass that you ran a red light in front of a cop (but still want to "get out of it") and then go pay the ticket that you so rightly deserve.

Me? I say go with the brick.

Atomical

Is there a handbook I should be looking for with regulations for police officers? Wouldn't I need something like that to prove that he was negligent?

You Are Guilty

Atomical said:
Is there a handbook I should be looking for with regulations for police officers? Wouldn't I need something like that to prove that he was negligent?
There certainly is. Who has copies differs by state, so to make sure you find the correct person who has one, you can send polite request letters to your elected officials and the police department, but be sure to explain why you're asking or else they won't give it to you. (You can save some time and just cut and patse your post into a letter, then ask for the materials at the end. )

Good luck!

You don't seem to be getting what we are saying so let me give you the facts. You broke the law and got a ticket. The fact that an officer was there does not mean he was negligent for not "directing traffic."

Illinois Vehicle Code
(625 ILCS 5/11‑309) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑309)
Sec. 11‑309. Flashing Signals.
Whenever an illuminated flashing red or yellow signal is used in conjunction with a traffic control device it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic as follows:
1. Flashing red (stop signal). When a red lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the cross walk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then at a point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
2. Flashing yellow (caution signal). When a yellow lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles may proceed through the intersection or past such signal only with caution.

HappyHusband

EvilWizard said:
You don't seem to be getting what we are saying so let me give you the facts. You broke the law and got a ticket. The fact that an officer was there does not mean he was negligent for not "directing traffic."

Illinois Vehicle Code
Whenever an illuminated flashing red or yellow signal is used in conjunction with a traffic control device it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic as follows:
1. Flashing red (stop signal). When a red lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the cross walk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then at a point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
2. Flashing yellow (caution signal). When a yellow lens is illuminated with rapid intermittent flashes, drivers of vehicles may proceed through the intersection or past such signal only with caution.
But Evil, the traffic light was malfunctioning!

It was blinking only red! It didn't go Green!, Yellow?, Red! like all properly functioning traffic lights do!

:rolleyes:

HappyHusband

EvilWizard said:
Ughhh don't encourage him!
Sorry,
Flashing Red = Stop.
Flashing Yellow = Use caution while proceeding through intersection.
Flashing Green = You are in Massachusetts and the pedestrians control the crosswalk.

sukharev

HappyHusband said:
Sorry,
Flashing Red = Stop.
Flashing Yellow = Use caution while proceeding through intersection.
Flashing Green = You are in Massachusetts and the pedestrians control the crosswalk.
As Einstein had discovered: you can travel with speed at which red will look yellow :D

Atomical

EvilWizard said:

Illinois Vehicle Code
The facts are that's not the statute included on my ticket.

There are a couple of violations involving flashing lights so pick your poison. If you want to check to see what your code is then look it up. Google Illinois Vehicle Code 625. Here is another example of a flashing light violation that you may have been cited for...

(625 ILCS 5/11‑903) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑903)
Sec. 11‑903. Vehicles entering stop crosswalk.
Where stop signs or flashing red signals are in place at an intersection or flashing red signals are in place at a plainly marked crosswalk between intersections, drivers of vehicles shall stop before entering the nearest crosswalk and pedestrians within or entering the crosswalk at either edge of the roadway shall have the right‑of‑way over vehicles so stopped. Drivers of vehicles having so yielded the right‑of‑way to pedestrians entering or within the nearest crosswalk at an intersection shall also yield the right‑of‑way to pedestrians within any other crosswalk at the intersection.
(Source: P.A. 76‑1586.)

Atomical

(625 ILCS 5/11-306) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-306)

(c) Steady red indication.
1. Except as provided in paragraph 3 of this
subsection (c), vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if there is no such stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no such crosswalk, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown.

I've already found a place in the Illinois Vehicle Codes where it makes a distinction between steady and flashing.

HappyHusband

Atomical said:
(625 ILCS 5/11-306) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-306)

(c) Steady red indication.
1. Except as provided in paragraph 3 of this
subsection (c), vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if there is no such stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no such crosswalk, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown.

I've already found a place in the Illinois Vehicle Codes where it makes a distinction between steady and flashing.
11-306 - Disregarding traffic-control light. 20 points

You stated that the light was blinking red, which means stop, but you stated that you failed to stop, therefore you disregarded a traffic control device.
You have no defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">