• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Videos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rockdog10

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I am starting a new internet business, and one of the strategy I am using to draw traffic is to allow people to download music videos that I record off my DirectTV. Will I get sue for this? My stance is that I am not selling the music videos, and the record company are not either. Music Videos are simply marketing device that are used to sell record ablums. I am just extending their marketing for free. Is this a viable defense? Also, Napster has created a precedent for "sharing" music online. I see it as myself taping something on T.V. to show a friend of mine at a later date. Is this a strong enough defense to combat lawsuits against record company. Thanks so much in advance.

JohnC

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

It is still copyright infringement - profit is not the only measure. you made an illegal copy to distribute, not for private use.

It can also be trademark infringement, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">