• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was about to be laid off, but am being kept

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lightgray

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi There. I am in a frustrating situation and am wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I work part time for a national company who has decided to restructure putting my position in danger. A few weeks ago my manager told me that my position may or may not be eliminated. At that same time, my manager stressed that i shouldn't worry and mentioned the possibility of other opportunities within the company, but if i decided not to take those, then i would be offered a fair compensation plan. I was preparing to be laid off. My manager was working with me to bring all of my projects to a close and/or handing responsibilities off to others.

I was recently contacted by my manager who told me that they want to keep me on, but at 20% less hours than i worked and then said that if i don't choose that option that i am quitting my job. Is that legal to do?? I told my manager that it didn't sound fair, and that i needed some time to think about it.

I am a part-time salaried employee who has been with the company for over 6 years, so scaling back my hours puts me in a place where i can't support my standard of living.

My manager called me again the same day and told me that my position wouldn't change and i would stay at the same status i started with. I am left feeling in a state of mistrust, feeling that my employer was trying to get me to quit, but since i wouldn't go for it, they are keeping me on. It doesn't feel good. Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks for reading.

mlane58

Aside from having a bona fide contract in place (which I am sure you don't)there is nothing illegal about your employer reducing your hours as part of a restructing plan or for any reason.

Gadfly

Restructuring seldom leads to anything good for employees. If they are/were thinking about eliminating you, then the next time they and a problem (and believe me, there will be a next time) you'll be at the top of the cut list. Take the hint. Find a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">