• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Breach of Contract Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skymichele

What is the name of your state?Texas

I was informed by the administration of the private school I work for that I would be allowed out of my teaching contract prior to it's end without any reprecussion. I agreed to leaving and turned in my letter of resignation the following Monday. It was only after the school found out that I had secured a private client which happened to also be a student of the schools did they request I pay the difference in salary for breach of contract. I am now being sued for approximately $1044 for remaining salary plus attourney fees. Can the attouney charge enough money to the school that would allow them to sue me for more than the contract stated? I am not concerned about the $1044, I am concerned that the school will try to break me through legal fees. I followed the law in all matters and would prefer to lose in court rather than be made out to be a liar, however the attourney is using strong arm tactics to persuade me to fold. Please help!

Last edited:

JETX

skymichele said:
I was informed by the administration of the private school I work for that I would be allowed out of my teaching contract prior to it's end without any reprecussion. I agreed to leaving and turned in my letter of resignation the following Monday. It was only after the school found out that I had secured a private client which happened to also be a student of the schools did they request I pay the difference in salary for breach of contract. I am now being sued for approximately $1044 for remaining salary plus attourney fees. Can the attouney charge enough money to the school that would allow them to sue me for more than the contract stated? I am not concerned about the $1044, I am concerned that the school will try to break me through legal fees. I followed the law in all matters and would prefer to lose in court rather than be made out to be a liar, however the attourney is using strong arm tactics to persuade me to fold. Please help!
Yes. They can sue you for '$100 quadzillion dollars' if they want.... though it is unlikely that a court would award them the full amount of their claim. :D

skymichele

Reply to Quadzillion $$$

If this is currently a small claims matter, how can they change it to something more than it isn't? If the amount is $1044, aren't they obligated by small claims limitations?

JETX

skymichele said:
If this is currently a small claims matter, how can they change it to something more than it isn't? If the amount is $1044, aren't they obligated by small claims limitations?
The small claims limit in Texas is $5000. If they use the small claims, they can sue for up to that amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">