• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wages Negotiations with a Baseball Bat????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdinda

A friend of mine worked in a seasonal management position last year, over the summer he made several trips to verbally negotiate with the GM, who said "It was not a problem to hire him back this coming year at the same salery." A month or so later after both the company and my friend explaining the desires of each they meet for what would be final negotiations. During the meeting the ex-GM (now sale manager) and the GM were joined by my friend. The ex-GM was holding a baseball base, choking up on it, and using it to prod my friend and intimidate him into accepting the offer.
Can this be legal?
Would this be harassment under employment laws or under criminal law? What can he do? File a complaint, press charges, or file a harassment suit?

Any advise you can give would be great!!

Thanks KMD in Austin, TX

ALawyer

He should have said something and declined the job.

If he felt threatened with bodily harm he should havecalled the police and filed a complaint for assault.

C

codderkate

Insecure people obviously need weapons

When I saw your post, I couldn't believe my eyes...the very same thing happened to me (a woman) while being reviewed by a male supervisor armed with a baseball bat. Although in my case, he didn't make bodily contact, but he did swing the bat and also pound the bat into the palm of his other other hand in a very repetitous manner while talking to me. All this while doing my annual review...which I might add was actually a good review (he didn't like me, but he couldn't change the fact that I did a good job). Nonetheless, I noticed whenever he did have something on the negative side to say...he would either start swinging it or pounding it into his other hand. All of this was done for intimidation value to, I believe, encourage me not to complain or object to his negative statements. He has since left the company, but I really wish that I had either called the police or complained to upper management about this behavior. Unfortunately, there is nothing in our employee manual about "armed" supervisors!

[Edited by codderkate on 12-03-2000 at 08:46 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">