• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mallison

I took a job that stated that the relocation would need to be paid back if I left before 12 months.
I cannot hold out for the year, the company is in a mess and the stress is effecting my family. Would I need to repay the money? If so, how would it be enforced? I have no intention of going to a competitor; infact I may not even take another job for a while
State is NC

C

CheeseBlotto

Assuming it's a valid contract, yes, you have to pay it back. If not, they'll sue you and most likely win.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only one who can give you a definite answer, however, is an attorney in your state who has read the entire agreement.

C

CheeseBlotto

Just out of curiosity, why would you feel that you aren't ethically bound to pay it back, regardless of the legalities?

mallison

I dont feel that I should not have to pay it back, I dont want to "get away with something", I just want to know if it would be enforced or not. Financially it would be impossible to repay. So,what is the best thing to do?
No matter how many questions are asked at interview, it is not until you get hired and start working that you understand what the job is all about.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can say if it WILL be enforced. The likelihood is that it CAN be enforced. But, as I said above, the devil is in the details and without having read the document in its entirety, we can't say for certain.

xylene

mallison said:
I took a job that stated that the relocation would need to be paid back if I left before 12 months.
I cannot hold out for the year, the company is in a mess and the stress is effecting my family. Would I need to repay the money? If so, how would it be enforced? I have no intention of going to a competitor; infact I may not even take another job for a while
State is NC
Get a therapist. The best thing to do is ride it out. A therapist could help you overcome the stress and relax. Because I am sure a stressful company would be a LOT worse if they were suing you instead of paying you.

Really, what is the worse that could happen? What is causing the stress?

Ever try blowing off work. It is actually fun.

A lot more fun than the consequences of blowing off a contract you cannot afford to live up to...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">