• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E. Tunstall

What is the name of your state?CA
I was recently fired from my job after 6.5 years with this company. It was a bogus firing, but since I live in CA, I just dealt with it and filed for my Unemployment benefits, which I am receiving. I was starting to put it behind me when out of the blue, one of my previous clients called me and told me that the girl that groomed her dogs told the client that I was fired for undercharging customers and that I was investigated for it and fired. Now, this is not even remotely why I was fired first of all. Secondly, what right does this employee have to tell anyone that is receiving services why I am no longer there? Do I have a right to seek legal action against the employer and employee- The worker apparently said these things to the client in front of the manager. I have looked up a few former clients in the phone book and left messages for them to find out if this was an isolated event or a pattern. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

E. Tunstall said:
What is the name of your state?CA
I was recently fired from my job after 6.5 years with this company. It was a bogus firing, but since I live in CA, I just dealt with it and filed for my Unemployment benefits, which I am receiving. I was starting to put it behind me when out of the blue, one of my previous clients called me and told me that the girl that groomed her dogs told the client that I was fired for undercharging customers and that I was investigated for it and fired. Now, this is not even remotely why I was fired first of all. Secondly, what right does this employee have to tell anyone that is receiving services why I am no longer there? Do I have a right to seek legal action against the employer and employee- The worker apparently said these things to the client in front of the manager. I have looked up a few former clients in the phone book and left messages for them to find out if this was an isolated event or a pattern. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You have no case

BelizeBreeze

E. Tunstall said:
Could you explain why?
First, you have suffered no 'damages'.

Second, opinion, whether or not true, is not actionable.

Third, you have third-hand information which is not admissible in court.

Fourth, you have no information on the reason you were fired except what you were told. How do you know what you were told was just to get rid of you?

Now, if, after all of that, you STILL think you have a case, take about $10,000 down to a local attorney and in about a year or two you'll be able to tell your side of the story to a judge.

And then you'll find out you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">