• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impairment and Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrcain

What is the name of your state? Workers Comp Claim is in Texas. We live in Montana.

I finally got an impairment rating from my doctor. He said it is 10%, if I undergo another surgery it would be 20%, as they would have to fuse 2 disks together. I would be in less pain but also less mobile. If I send the 10% to WC now if I elect to get the surgery in the future can I get an additional 10%?

tjr5150

rrcain said:
What is the name of your state? Workers Comp Claim is in Texas. We live in Montana.

I finally got an impairment rating from my doctor. He said it is 10%, if I undergo another surgery it would be 20%, as they would have to fuse 2 disks together. I would be in less pain but also less mobile. If I send the 10% to WC now if I elect to get the surgery in the future can I get an additional 10%?
All state law are different, but I think if you take the %10 rating now and have the surgery later, you still only receive the money for the %10 rating..
If you elect to have the surgery, that does'nt really mean you will be %20, you could feel better and they might give you a lower rating..
It is up to you to decide what is best for you..
You get an impairment rating, get percentage and have a certain amount of money's awarded to you, also have the option to elect to have a future surgery, does not change your first rating percentage..
You decide to contest the rating and have the second surgery, then have a doctor rate you and you may or may not get a higher or lower rating..
You need to ask yourself these question's and decide what is best for you.
Just because you have a fusion does not mean less pain..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">