• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, Unemployment rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonnyKazoo

What is the name of your state? MI

Here's a question regarding unemloyment benefits. Currently was terminated for violating a verbal company policy. I work in construction and my former employer
lost a contractor due to his son's work. Mind you this was a good paying contractor that he hated to lose. I am also a contractor starting a company in the same line of work as my former employer. After he was told he would not be doing this contractors work anymore, I had agreed to take the job while I was still working for the former employer. Business ethnics or business decision?
Now I am trying to collect unemployment and he is trying to deny it. I am not working at the moment. What are your thoughts?

Beth3

Business ethnics or business decision? Both. It is not surprising your employer let you go for starting your own business which is in direct competition to his. You certainly are free to start your own business but any employer would terminate you in these circumstances.

The State will decide whether you qualify for unemployment benefits

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">