• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marajuana use by other employees at my work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phrogg111

I'm in California, and I work at a local Taco Bell. I'm 17 years old. Several employees were smoking pot on the clock, and I had to be exposed to this. I complained to my manager about a week ago, and since, one of them has been fired, while the one that controls the number of hours I have every week has cut down my hours to four of the 18 or so weekly hours I had.

I suspect that the two guys I told my manager about, as well as at least two others, are involved in dealing drugs, to each other bare minimum. I don't want to get in trouble for that.

One of my friends, who works with me, says that the owner and manager that I complained to not only know that marajuana is being used at work, but that they'll do everything in their power to fire me without actually firing me. Something along the lines of telling me that they don't need help when I'm scheduled, only scheduling me for a few hours every week, etc.

Who can I talk to, and what can I do? The local police non-emergency number didn't help me, saying the guys had to be doing drugs when I called, and I don't know if the Better Business Beureau would help me - their site said they didn't deal with legal stuff in general.

This is the second time that a Taco Bell has cut back my hours, but this time, it's not because they don't like me - it's because they feel their employees should be allowed to smoke pot as they work. I could be arrested for that, and that's not right.

My parents absolutely hate policemen, but I'll get them involved if I can.

Should I sue my employer or something? Can I have anyone arrested if I prove they know everyone around them is using illegal drugs, and at work, no less? Would the health board do anything about me being exposed to illegal drugs at work?

More importantly, can my managers get in trouble for knowingly not caring that their employees smoke marajuana on the job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">