• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm politely warned not to apply for unemployment again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copperbarrow

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Hello, and thanks in advance for any comments.

I returned home yesterday after a rather bewildering meeting with the head of the adult education program who employs me. I have worked there since about 2001. I sign a contract every summer stating I am a casual part time employee. I received a letter last spring stating I was terminated when the present contract expired in June. I was verbally assured by my coordinator that I would be rehired when the program started back in August. I applied for unemployment benefits and was granted 190.00 a week, which I recieved for 9 weeks. I was rehired in August and have been working since.

Well, I received a request to schedule a mystery meeting and I did right away. The program director explained very nicely that this is a non-profit organization. After last years school term finished, the class I teach had about $10,000 left which would have been spent for other needed items.

She said my unemployment benefits to me alone, ate up $4900 of that, almost half. I was getting pretty uneasy at this point and told her I didn't remember making that amount, but she said I did.

She said she couldn't understand why, when I was hired as a casual part-time teacher, that I applied for benefits in the first place. She said if all 50 employees who received that same termination letter had applied for unemployment, that the school would have had to close down.

I told her I felt terribly embarrassed. I also told her that although my status is casual part-time, it is very important to me, my job is almost my life, and that I feel I'm a good employee, I only called off once when my mom died, I am never late and I come in extra when needed. (I also do all my grading and classroom prep on my own time, but whatever)

I sort of had trouble hearing what she said after that. Maybe it was that the next termination letter that everyone receives will be worded in such a way that unemployment isn't going to be granted? Anyway, I'm just bewildered by this all.

And by the way, I looked at my unemployment records and I would have been eligible for $4900, and received about $15-1600.

Thanks

copperbarrow said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
Hello, and thanks in advance for any comments.

I returned home yesterday after a rather bewildering meeting with the head of the adult education program who employs me. I have worked there since about 2001. I sign a contract every summer stating I am a casual part time employee. I received a letter last spring stating I was terminated when the present contract expired in June. I was verbally assured by my coordinator that I would be rehired when the program started back in August. I applied for unemployment benefits and was granted 190.00 a week, which I recieved for 9 weeks. I was rehired in August and have been working since.

Well, I received a request to schedule a mystery meeting and I did right away. The program director explained very nicely that this is a non-profit organization. After last years school term finished, the class I teach had about $10,000 left which would have been spent for other needed items.

She said my unemployment benefits to me alone, ate up $4900 of that, almost half. I was getting pretty uneasy at this point and told her I didn't remember making that amount, but she said I did.

She said she couldn't understand why, when I was hired as a casual part-time teacher, that I applied for benefits in the first place. She said if all 50 employees who received that same termination letter had applied for unemployment, that the school would have had to close down.

I told her I felt terribly embarrassed. I also told her that although my status is casual part-time, it is very important to me, my job is almost my life, and that I feel I'm a good employee, I only called off once when my mom died, I am never late and I come in extra when needed. (I also do all my grading and classroom prep on my own time, but whatever)

I sort of had trouble hearing what she said after that. Maybe it was that the next termination letter that everyone receives will be worded in such a way that unemployment isn't going to be granted? Anyway, I'm just bewildered by this all.

And by the way, I looked at my unemployment records and I would have been eligible for $4900, and received about $15-1600.

Thanks
What's your legal question?

copperbarrow

Sorry, family needed me, forgot to ask. Ok, What is her motive in this meeting, if you have a feeling there is one? I'm guessing to make me feel guilty for the unemployment (mission accomplished). And prevent any further applications to unemployment from myself.

Also, should I tell her she is wrong about the amount of money she feels I made? I guess that's it, I'm just bewildered like I said. I know this isn't a support group, so maybe I'm at the wrong website. If so, sorry.

I know lots of questions here are way more important than mine.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since my crystal ball is in the shop, I have no idea what her motive is.

I wouldn't tell her she's wrong about the money, no. For one thing, she probably isn't. UI benefits tend to creep up on you when you aren't looking. For another, in my opinion you're better off not re-addressing the subject.

copperbarrow

The Ohio Unemployment Benefits website says, (and I agree), that I received $1700 net. My full benefit, had I drawn for 26 weeks was $4940.

She said I received the full amount. I really don't want to discuss this with her again, but it does bug me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">