• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the backing laws in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbaluu

Arizona - I was backing out of a parking spot and saw NO traffic coming. I continued to back when all of the sudden, out of nowhere, a car swerved to go around me. We made contact causing a small scratch to the back quarter panel of his car. What is the law here? Who had the right of way? Puzzled in AZ!

CdwJava

bobbaluu said:
Arizona - I was backing out of a parking spot and saw NO traffic coming. I continued to back when all of the sudden, out of nowhere, a car swerved to go around me. We made contact causing a small scratch to the back quarter panel of his car. What is the law here? Who had the right of way? Puzzled in AZ!
The person backing generally has to yield. However, there may be no violation here as backing may not apply on private property such as a retail parking lot. However, insurance companies and civil courts often determine fault differently than the police do, so it's really a moot point.

Did the police take a report? Or is this entirely a civil matter for damages?

- Carl

bobbaluu

This is strickly civil. No police were involved. We did exchange insurance information and he threaten to sue. Advice??? :confused:

CdwJava

bobbaluu said:
This is strickly civil. No police were involved. We did exchange insurance information and he threaten to sue. Advice??? :confused:
Speak to your insurance company. If not insured, you may want to talk to an attorney depending on the amount of damage.

If you were backing, chances are a civil court will find you at fault ... it's the way it works. Keep that in mind.

- Carl

lwpat

You may be better off to just pay this yourself rather than turn it in to your insurance company. Normally we pay anything less than 1,000 but that is for a business. Ask your agent what he recommends as long as the other person is being reasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">