• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to be fired because of my heart disease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BluBtrfly88

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am currently working at Wal-Mart. I am considered legally deaf and wear two hearing aids. I also have a heart disease called POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). Last year, before I had POTS, I was working overnights at Wal-Mart. I was constantly told what a wonderful employee I am and I worked my butt off. My job was very physically demanding and I strove to impress, which I did. Then one night that I'm working, I nearly collapse and my heart freaks out. Over the course of about 4 months, I was extremely sick and the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me. Walmart put me on medical leave, but gave me a lot of crap for it and telling me that other workers are sick and they still make it in and that I look fine and that my attendance is a huge problem now because I'm sick all the time. I finally found out that I have POTS and it's a disease that just makes you feel horrible about 85% of the time. I have work restrictions now and am not supposed to strain myself. I'm still getting used to the medications and the disease but the stress that Walmart has been putting on me, saying that they'll have no choice but to terminate me because of my attendance is tearing me apart! I bring them doctors excuses every time but they tell me that it's pointless because they are sick of dealing with my missing work sometimes. I'm getting sicker from the stress and I'm going to lose my job. I am a valuable employee and can do good things for the company but they aren't willing to make schedule modications. What are my options? I'm only 24 and also busy trying to commit to school online so I really have no clue what I'm supposed to do. If they fire me, is that discrimination??

rmet4nzkx

POTS/Dysautonomia is difficult to diagnose so it is no surprise that you have had difficulty with your employer. Have you applied for ADA accommodations or FMLA if you worked enough hours? Once you are on your meds and get your BP up you will feel better. It is important to learn how to deal with stress, to get adequate exercise, wear compression garments/socks/stockings, eat high protein low carb diet, keep hydrated and eat enough salt.
Contact http://www.ndrf/org It is very inportant to apply for ADA accommodations and go through Wal-Mart's ADA coordinator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">