• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Storage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnneD

I live in PA.

My mother gave permission for a relative to temporarily store some personal items in her home. These consist of small pieces of furniture, books and clothing. My mother is now deceased and the house is in my name. I have asked this relative to come to remove their property, but they have not done so. I am at the point where I want to tell them, "You must remove your property by a certain date or I will dispose of it myself."

Am I within my rights to do so?

Is there a certain period of time when the items stored in my home are no longer considered his property but mine?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

AnneD said:
I live in PA.

My mother gave permission for a relative to temporarily store some personal items in her home. These consist of small pieces of furniture, books and clothing. My mother is now deceased and the house is in my name. I have asked this relative to come to remove their property, but they have not done so. I am at the point where I want to tell them, "You must remove your property by a certain date or I will dispose of it myself."

Am I within my rights to do so?

Is there a certain period of time when the items stored in my home are no longer considered his property but mine?
My response:

You know what? Don't put anything in writing.

Be practical about this situation. Dispose of the property any way you'd like. When they come asking about the property, say to the relative, "What stuff? I don't know anything about your stuff. Got a problem? Tell it to a judge."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">