• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 82 on 65 on I684

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajkk

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

Hi,

I was caught for speeding on I684N in Westchester county couple of hours ago. I was doing, 82 on 65. Cop pulled me over and gave an 'Uniform traffic ticket' with the
violation code 1180 d.
Description of Violation : SPEED L 932'
Offense Type : Traffic Infraction.

I have been directed to appear in the court in the last week of december. As I'm from IN state, the cop had asked me to mail the ticket.

I donno wat to do? Pls advice me on how to go with this, should I consult an attorney, how much would he charge, would I given any points? Is there any way I can get rid of the points and just pay the fine. Pls suggest.

Thanks in Advance.
AJIndy.

sukharev

Hope anyone from Indiana can give a specific advice. Otherwise, read previous posts on the subjects of discovery, judicial notice, etc. Good luck and slow down.

sukharev

ajkk said:
should I consult an attorney, how much would he charge
Yes, if you have $1000 and don't feel comfortable going to court yourself. Prices range from case to case, pick up yellow pages and make a few calls to find out. They would typically give initial consultation for free (but don't expect any viable advice yet)
ajkk said:
would I given any points? Is there any way I can get rid of the points and just pay the fine.
Yes to points, likely no to getting rid of them. Only if DA is in a good mood and feels like giving that day.

That is if you don't fight the ticket. To fight it, you need to do some research yourself (looking at the posts here and searching the web). Then, you can ask intelligent questions and maybe get some answers.

ajkk

Thanks for the advice. I have recently moved to Connecticut, I still hold Indiana license. What if, If I obtain CT state license, are the points gonna carry to this license? Do I need to wait till the hearing in the court has been made or can I apply for CT license? How would the impact be?

Thanks
AJIndy.

sukharev

ajkk said:
If I obtain CT state license, are the points gonna carry to this license? Do I need to wait till the hearing in the court has been made or can I apply for CT license? How would the impact be?
It's possible, but not likely for points to carry over to CT. I can't say for sure, but although states are supposed to do that, their IT systems lag behind. This changes over time, so noone knows for sure.

You can go ahead and apply for a new license now, just try to save the old one or the copy of it. When you come to court, you may need to present it to validate your ID.

Last edited:

tigger22472

If you know you're at fault, call and find the price of the ticket and mail it in and be done with it other than the points on your license. Why spend the money in travel and other things to fight something you will lose unless you can prove you weren't speeding?

sukharev

tigger22472 said:
If you know you're at fault, call and find the price of the ticket and mail it in and be done with it other than the points on your license. Why spend the money in travel and other things to fight something you will lose unless you can prove you weren't speeding?
Yep, that's another option. Then, again, if the points do transfer...

I'd suggest looking up the out of state moving violations policy for both CT DMV and insurance companies. These rules vary so wildely from state to state, that you have to know exactly how this is supposed to work, then take your chances (if you choose so) and hope that it does not.

tigger22472

sukharev said:
Yep, that's another option. Then, again, if the points do transfer...

I'd suggest looking up the out of state moving violations policy for both CT DMV and insurance companies. These rules vary so wildely from state to state, that you have to know exactly how this is supposed to work, then take your chances (if you choose so) and hope that it does not.

If he/she is in violation the transfer of points wouldn't matter. I mean they could try to see about how to work off points but if they are in violation they are in violation and arguing it could add additional charges.

sukharev

tigger22472 said:
If he/she is in violation the transfer of points wouldn't matter. I mean they could try to see about how to work off points but if they are in violation they are in violation and arguing it could add additional charges.
With all due respect, I disagree. In my personal experience, the court charges were never "added". Instead, they were included by the court into the final costs and overall plea bargain would yield lower cost than if you just pay be mail. Plus, the range is wildely different from court to court, and can be as low as $10. :D You can call or visit the court to find out for sure.

Transfer of points, on the other hand, is a huge issue in comparison. If they do happen, then CT insurance is going to have a field day with this, possibly costing you over $1000 in a few years. Appearing in court can help in a variety of ways, including having the charges dismissed if officer does not show, or getting a lesser charge with no points assessed. Once again, it's up to the individual to figure out cost and benefit of going to court, based on the information about CT and how this point transfer affects insurance rates (if it does happen).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">