• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dropping assault charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarb29ny

What is the name of your state? NY

I pressed charges against my friend that assaulted me and he's now in the county jail. I never have done this before but can I go to the court house when he goes to drop the charges? Thanx

gawm

now why would you want to do that? when he gets out he'll think it's alright to do it again. would you like that? answer to your question is no.

sugarb29ny

"NO" is right. He wont do it again because he will not be comming back here with me but I dont want to see him in jail.

gawm

once you file the complaint, the state picks up the charges. nothing you can do about it now. jail is where he needs to be, if not for you, then for his next girlfriend. it's not like he's gonna get twenty years, so don't worry about it. his mommy didn't teach him not to hit women so maybe this will. you did the right thing by pressing charges, SO STOP FEELING GUILTY!

sugarb29ny

I understand what your saying but he dosent need jail, he needs help such as anger management. Would it make any difference If I showed up and spoke w/ his attorney?

gawm

sugarb29ny said:
I understand what your saying but he dosent need jail, he needs help such as anger management. Would it make any difference If I showed up and spoke w/ his attorney?
THIS IS WHY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS AS BIG AS A PROBLEM AS IT IS TODAY!
A JUDGE WILL DETERMINE WHAT HE NEEDS(WHETHER IT BE JAIL OR ANGER MANAGEMENT) NOT YOU!

S

shell007

It is no longer "you vs. friend"

It is now "state vs. friend"

It is out of your hands now.

Get a new "friend", and next time don't be so quick to file charges if your not willing to follow through with the consequences!

At the very least, hopefully a lesson has been learned!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">