• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncgirl27012

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was ticketed for 81 in a 55. I was going with the 'pack' on a rural highway and we were admittedly doing about 65. I passed someone who was going slower. I was pulled about 2 miles later and told that the radar from the parking lot she was sitting in had read 81. I don't really believe I was going quite that fast but I have no proof nor do I know exactly how fast I was going because my eyes were on the traffic not the gauges.
My last speeding ticket was for 41 in a 35 about 6-7 years ago.

How badly am I going to be punished and what am I to expect in court? I have never been to traffic court ... only mailed a check. Do I have any chance of getting it reduced in some way?

sukharev

If you show up in court, you will likely get "invited" into a small room with no windows and then...

You get offered "plea bargain", that is you admit you were speeding, then get a reduced fine, so that the judge can go home early that day. Just make sure you have a copy of your driving record with you, showing you are a good citizen. The rest of the consequences are likely same as you had 7 years ago.

That is, if you don't want to fight the ticket. If you do, look up if it was radar, not lidar, then read the posts, web pages like ticketkiller and tipmra and go to library, then ask any follow-up questions if in doubt. Good luck.

Fine and court costs will anly be about three tanks of gas but you are risking a suspension of your licence and a large (100%) increase in your insurance the next three years.

For $350 to $1,000 (depending on you record, county, etc.), a lawyer has a good chance to reduce this to 9 over which will be no insurance points or suspension.

Search messages here for more info on speeding in NC.

I'm not a lawyer, just a good customer of one :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">