• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving the scene of an accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwells1

What is the name of your state? Texas

The facility that I work for received a call from a gentleman today stating that a witness reported to parking lot security that they saw our company vehicle back into his car and leave the garage without stopping. He spoke to several people before he was appropriately routed to me. He threatened to call police and report leaving the scene of the accident. He also told the administrator that we could just write him a check if we did not want to go through insurance. When I spoke with him I explained that the two employees in the van report that they hit nothing. I also asked how he got our name and phone number since we do not identify our vehicles to protect the confidentiality of our residents. He said that the witness gave the license plate number to the security guards and that they handed him an accident report that included the registered name, number, even the leinholders name. I explained that all I could go from is what my two employees told me. He said he would call the police. I told him this would be the best for both of us and that I had already called to report our version.

I was very upset that the security guards gave out this kind of information without our consent. This guy now knows the name of our facility, address, phone number, etc. I called and the asked if this was normal protocol. I was told no but that a supervisor authorized it. However, the supervisor was off duty and I was told to call back tomorrow. He also told me that APD was currently there to do an investigation into the incident.

1) How will this be handled since I have two very trustworthy staff who report that they hit nothing?
2) What should I be doing? I took pictures of our vehicle which shows no real damage. I will call tomorrow and get a copy of the security guards paperwork.
3) Does the security guards have any right to give this kind of information to the public?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sukharev

Police has little to do with this. It's insurance company you need to get involved. However, first find out how much this guy is asking, maybe it's easier for you to write a check. If he had a witness (security guard), he has a solid proof, and the two guys in the van may not even have noticed anything :) . Anyhow, find out what your insurance would do if they have to pay for accident you are at fault, and if future increase in premium is higher, write the guy a check.

moburkes

How do you have both
1. trustworthy employees who say that they hit nothing AND
2. a vehicle with very little damage?

That doesn't make sense.

seniorjudge

moburkes said:
How do you have both
1. trustworthy employees who say that they hit nothing AND
2. a vehicle with very little damage?

That doesn't make sense.
I think you need to talk to those trustworthy employees some more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">