• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard C

Texas
I got a speeding ticket on the turnpike by a City of Irving Motorcycle cop. I though that the Highway Patrol had that road.

sukharev

Look up earlier posts on jurisdiction issues. Also, see if you can find info on particular area on the web. Likely, if you were within City limits, cop had full right to stop you all by himself. Altogether just jurisdiction is a weak defence, you need to come up with a better one. What was your speed and statute you were cited under? Also, was it laser/lidar or radar?

Richard C

Texas. I suppose laser was used to measure speed. I never heard of the other... lidar. I have never in the 35 years of driving seen a local police dept. on the turnpikes. It has always been the exclusive terrritory of the Highway Patrol. I was going 79 in a 60, which makes me eligible for Defensive Driving or differed adjudication. But I would like to get an outright dismissal.

HomeGuru

Richard C said:
Texas. I suppose laser was used to measure speed. I never heard of the other... lidar. I have never in the 35 years of driving seen a local police dept. on the turnpikes. It has always been the exclusive terrritory of the Highway Patrol. I was going 79 in a 60, which makes me eligible for Defensive Driving or differed adjudication. But I would like to get an outright dismissal.

**A: good luck.

sukharev

Richard C said:
Laser and lidar are referring to the same thing. Lidar is the technology using laser.

You can try to fight the ticket, look up lidar judicial notice in Texas, request discovery of testing and calibration records for lidar, learn how to defend yourself using websites like Tipmra and books in the library.

You can also prepare for bargaining with prosecutor before trial, that is research if indeed traffic school is an option and if you can lower the charge below level of point assessment (probably a possibility since you are less than 20 mph over). Taking a bargain that works for you (does not compromize your driving record or insurance premium) is definitely better than trying to fight the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">