• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal stop/lying officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baker8

Ohio. I went to go grocery shopping for Thanksgiving at 3:30 a.m. (to the overnight market). as soon as I pulled onto the 4 lane road, I had a cop rev up on my bumper. so I knew to do the limit right from the start. i was not drinking, so didnt mind them following me. I went about 5-7 mph under the limit for two miles to the end of his jurisdiction, when i was pulled over for improper plates. my husband had simply taken plates off our mercedes and put on my jeep. we decided not to drive the mercedes for the winter. so the BMV didnt know we popped the plates on our Jeep (fully insured, of course). the cop was nice and told me i was stopped for having the wrong plates. he said i wasnt speeding, no weaving, etc. he just got a wild hair that he should run my tag to see if the car was stolen. there was no amber alert, no felony he was investigating. nothing. just a wild hair. sure enough our 10K in property taxes that we pay per year didnt sway him from writing me a full ticket. I have to go to court. after he gave me the ticket, i was not happy. he asked me for my phone number. I said i didnt have a phone. he huffed a little and asked for my cell number. i said gladly, "none." he asked for my work number. i said, "none." he huffed and puffed and told me that my work has to have a number. I assured him, "nope." (becasue I dont work. but i didnt tell him that). he got angry and told me i was lying to him and that he'd arrest me, if i failed to give him my number. I told him that he has my address already, and that i felt that was the only information he needed. he said it was not, that the law required me to give him my phone number, or he guaranteed i would spend the rest of the night in jail. he explained that he wanted an alternate way to contact me other than the address i provided. I wondered why. he explained that he needed my number for a backup in case I wasnt home. I assured him, if I wasn't home - i sure as hell wasnt going to answer the phone. (besides, the phone is my husbands. i did not lie). i finally forked it over. then the cop wanted to know my work number. i said, "nah." he was angry about it. i explained i did not work. he asked if i was selfemployed or unemployed. i said again, "no, I just dont work. I choose not to." He might've been kind of sweet on me at this point. i dont wear a wedding ring, so i think he thought that i was not fully married. I keep my maiden name.) he huffed and puffed and asked me how i pay my bills telling me that he was sure i must have a job. he again threatened to put me in jail for the night if i lied. i then told him i was a kept woman, that my husband provides the money and i enjoy spending as much of it as i can. he made notes of it in a big huff and thought about whether he bought my story. my husband knows its true. but the cop has no business asking how i pay my bills. i certainly wasnt volunteering anything. the cop decided i could go and told me that i need to know that he will personally come to my house to arrest me, if i do not show to the court at the date and time on the ticket. i told him he should prolly doublecheck the law. i said this was not a felony and he prolly cant just go out on a bench warrant and pick anyone up without a judge's okay. (was true in michigan, i think). He told me that he would do it immediatley. he said i wasn't going to get off either. i told him i was pretty sure he couldn't. he said he would make a point of it. disgusting.

two things: 1). He interferred with my right to peaceful enjoyment - or whatever. there was nothing that gave him the right to stop me. (don't police have to cite a reason to dispatchers when the dispatchers run any plate through LEIN? If they do? why can this cop act on a wild hair?)
2). this guy threatened to put me in jail if I didnt give him my home phone number? i had already stated to him that i did NOT have a phone at home. If I don't have a phone, does he have the right to arrest me?

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

baker8 said:
Ohio. I went to go grocery shopping for Thanksgiving at 3:30 a.m. (to the overnight market). as soon as I pulled onto the 4 lane road, I had a cop rev up on my bumper. so I knew to do the limit right from the start. i was not drinking, so didnt mind them following me. I went about 5-7 mph under the limit for two miles to the end of his jurisdiction, when i was pulled over for improper plates. my husband had simply taken plates off our mercedes and put on my jeep.
That was a legitimate stop. So, quit your bellyaching.
we decided not to drive the mercedes for the winter. so the BMV didnt know we popped the plates on our Jeep (fully insured, of course).
Which is a clear violation.
the cop was nice and told me i was stopped for having the wrong plates. he said i wasnt speeding, no weaving, etc. he just got a wild hair that he should run my tag to see if the car was stolen.
Perfectly legal.
there was no amber alert, no felony he was investigating. nothing. just a wild hair.
Not that it matters, but it's called a hunch. And you got busted.
sure enough our 10K in property taxes that we pay per year didnt sway him from writing me a full ticket. I have to go to court. after he gave me the ticket, i was not happy. he asked me for my phone number. I said i didnt have a phone. he huffed a little and asked for my cell number. i said gladly, "none." he asked for my work number. i said, "none." he huffed and puffed and told me that my work has to have a number. I assured him, "nope." (becasue I dont work. but i didnt tell him that). he got angry and told me i was lying to him and that he'd arrest me, if i failed to give him my number. I told him that he has my address already, and that i felt that was the only information he needed. he said it was not, that the law required me to give him my phone number, or he guaranteed i would spend the rest of the night in jail. he explained that he wanted an alternate way to contact me other than the address i provided. I wondered why. he explained that he needed my number for a backup in case I wasnt home. I assured him, if I wasn't home - i sure as hell wasnt going to answer the phone. (besides, the phone is my husbands. i did not lie).
Although I question his right to ask for the information, you did lie. Plain and simple.
i finally forked it over. then the cop wanted to know my work number. i said, "nah." he was angry about it. i explained i did not work. he asked if i was selfemployed or unemployed. i said again, "no, I just dont work. I choose not to." He might've been kind of sweet on me at this point. i dont wear a wedding ring, so i think he thought that i was not fully married. I keep my maiden name.) he huffed and puffed and asked me how i pay my bills telling me that he was sure i must have a job. he again threatened to put me in jail for the night if i lied. i then told him i was a kept woman, that my husband provides the money and i enjoy spending as much of it as i can. he made notes of it in a big huff and thought about whether he bought my story. my husband knows its true. but the cop has no business asking how i pay my bills. i certainly wasnt volunteering anything. the cop decided i could go and told me that i need to know that he will personally come to my house to arrest me, if i do not show to the court at the date and time on the ticket. i told him he should prolly doublecheck the law. i said this was not a felony and he prolly cant just go out on a bench warrant and pick anyone up without a judge's okay. (was true in michigan, i think). He told me that he would do it immediatley. he said i wasn't going to get off either. i told him i was pretty sure he couldn't. he said he would make a point of it. disgusting.
So, besides being a smartass and playing games, what does all of this have to do with the LEGITIMATE STOP?
two things: 1). He interferred with my right to peaceful enjoyment - or whatever. there was nothing that gave him the right to stop me. (don't police have to cite a reason to dispatchers when the dispatchers run any plate through LEIN? If they do? why can this cop act on a wild hair?)
Yes he did. He had a hunch, ran with it and discovered that you were, infact, operating the auto illegally.
2). this guy threatened to put me in jail if I didnt give him my home phone number? i had already stated to him that i did NOT have a phone at home. If I don't have a phone, does he have the right to arrest me?
You being a smart-mouthed little child had nothign to do with it right? If you have a problem with his asking, then file a complaint. Otherwise, this is a personality issue between your mouth and the officer's right to stop you.

sukharev

Hmm... Why on earth would your husband "pop the plates"??? :eek: If he is so dumb, just let him pay for the ticket and get over it.

As for the jail, look up the statute you were charged with, chances are jail time is one of the options there - be thankful the cop did not actually do that.

gawm

i really like how everything is OURS( jeep, property taxes) but when it comes to the phone, that's your husbands. what, is he so jealous and protective that he doesn't let you use the phone? :rolleyes: I'm sure if they(the state wanted to find out your # they can) save yourself a lot of hassle next time and make one up ;) maybe if you get a job you can afford to get the jeep it's own plate ;)

Last edited:

baker8

My lawyer just got back with me. He spoke with the Judge and I don't have to go to court. We have agreed for me to pay the $40 fee for failing to transfer the plate with the BMV.

Are you guys real? I said I was guilty. I knew the whole time. I even explained our reasoning. My point was that this cop (junior high kid) ran me for NO REASON other than a wild hair. You seem to think that is fine. It doesnt feel fine. I bet you all voted for Bush, too. Huh?

Why be so disrespectful to me? You condone lying cops who threaten to jail me on a non-jailtime offense. He threatened to pick me up on a bench warrant without a Judge's signature. Sure. Don't you think a cop should be responsible for being truthful?

Furthermore, the plates are current. We were talking about a 9 dollar plate transfer fee that we failed to do. Do you guys understand that? We decided in mid-November not to run the Mercedes for the winter. Big deal. We made sure to put full coverage on the Jeep too. And we did not go to the BMV...yet. Probably by the end of the year. No hurry. This is something that happens in cold weather climates all the time. You flip-flip plates over the winter and drive your beater, with your insuarance coverage statement. It costs either 9 or 11 dollars, depending on how much your vehicle weighs. Never used to get busted for it. Let alone be promised a jail sentence.

There was NO JAIL time for this offense. The maximum penalty was up to $70 if it has been less than a month. And it is less than a month. Thus the 40 dollar fine I am going to pay.

I was respectful of the officer and answered each of his questions honestly. the Jeep is MINE, not my husband's. The phones are my husband's - not MINE. You all need to practice being better lawyers. My guess is that there are some real dirtbags out there that will need to be defended. You wont take their money, will ya?

BelizeBreeze

baker8 said:
My lawyer just got back with me. He spoke with the Judge and I don't have to go to court. We have agreed for me to pay the $40 fee for failing to transfer the plate with the BMV.

Are you guys real? I said I was guilty. I knew the whole time. I even explained our reasoning. My point was that this cop (junior high kid) ran me for NO REASON other than a wild hair. You seem to think that is fine. It doesnt feel fine. I bet you all voted for Bush, too. Huh?
And as I told you in the VERY FIRST RESPONSE, that is NOT illegal.
Why be so disrespectful to me? You condone lying cops who threaten to jail me on a non-jailtime offense. He threatened to pick me up on a bench warrant without a Judge's signature. Sure. Don't you think a cop should be responsible for being truthful?
Of course this has nothing to do with your legal issues does it? And who was the one driving illegally? Not the cop. Your disrespect for the law shouldn't be questioned right?
Furthermore, the plates are current.
Furthermore, they are current for ONE CAR ONLY, and that was NOT the car you had them displayed on.
We were talking about a 9 dollar plate transfer fee that we failed to do.
And that was a violation.
Do you guys understand that?
MOST people understand that. They also understand it's not an excuse.
We decided in mid-November not to run the Mercedes for the winter. Big deal. We made sure to put full coverage on the Jeep too. And we did not go to the BMV...yet.
So why whine about getting caught breaking the law?
Probably by the end of the year.
Which would have meant that each and every time you were spotted could have been another violation.
No hurry. This is something that happens in cold weather climates all the time. You flip-flip plates over the winter and drive your beater, with your insuarance coverage statement. It costs either 9 or 11 dollars, depending on how much your vehicle weighs. Never used to get busted for it. Let alone be promised a jail sentence.
Only happens when you have an unhealthy disrespect for the law and use laziness as an excuse.
There was NO JAIL time for this offense. The maximum penalty was up to $70 if it has been less than a month. And it is less than a month. Thus the 40 dollar fine I am going to pay.
Which would have been nothing had you taken an hour out of your soooo important day.
I was respectful of the officer and answered each of his questions honestly. the Jeep is MINE, not my husband's. The phones are my husband's - not MINE. You all need to practice being better lawyers. My guess is that there are some real dirtbags out there that will need to be defended. You wont take their money, will ya?
That is NOT borne out by your display here. Now, go grow up before you come back.

baker8

Oh yeah, the cop told me he stopped me because he was out looking for stolen cars and thought mine might be one. so when he found out it was not a stolen car, (before the stop), he had NO reason to pull me over. He was able to tell that the plate on my vehcile was a plate that belonged on another car at the same address. He ran me and my husband for warrants, before the stop. there was nothing. riddle me that?

BelizeBreeze

baker8 said:
Oh yeah, the cop told me he stopped me because he was out looking for stolen cars and thought mine might be one. so when he found out it was not a stolen car, (before the stop), he had NO reason to pull me over. He was able to tell that the plate on my vehcile was a plate that belonged on another car at the same address. He ran me and my husband for warrants, before the stop. there was nothing. riddle me that?
Yes, he found out it was NOT stolen. However, he also found a clear violation of the Vehicle Code and had every right and duty to stop you to ascertain exactly what was transpiring.

baker8

Be real. It's a 9 dollar fee that my husband didn't do. I was looking at a $350 court cost fee, plus a delay to our Kiawah Island vacation, over this. Do you seem to think the $40 is not adequate punishment for failing to transfer a plate. Use some common sense. The abuse of police power is evident. It just so happens that the City Coucil's Public Safety Chairwoman is coming to my dinner party tomorrow at my residence. I'm sure she will see it my way, too.

It is well worth $40 to stay out of the bad neighborhood of town where the BMV is. Driving a Mercedes over there? Puh-leeze. By the time i stood in line for 3 hours with the po'folk, I'd be lucky to have an engine left, let alone rims. They woulda been popped in the first 5 minutes.

BelizeBreeze

baker8 said:
Be real. It's a 9 dollar fee that my husband didn't do. I was looking at a $350 court cost fee, plus a delay to our Kiawah Island vacation, over this. Do you seem to think the $40 is not adequate punishment for failing to transfer a plate. Use some common sense. The abuse of police power is evident. It just so happens that the City Coucil's Public Safety Chairwoman is coming to my dinner party tomorrow at my residence. I'm sure she will see it my way, too.

It is well worth $40 to stay out of the bad neighborhood of town where the BMV is. Driving a Mercedes over there? Puh-leeze. By the time i stood in line for 3 hours with the po'folk, I'd be lucky to have an engine left, let alone rims. They woulda been popped in the first 5 minutes.
You broke the law. You were caught. You have spent hours here making excuses.

What is so difficult for YOU to understand.

baker8

I think it is you. I haven't made excuses. I've asked questions. I admitted I was in the wrong right off the bat. I think the officer was way out of line. And he's a parttimer who prolly just wants the extra $200 to pad his christmas wallet for a court appearance. he's the one busted now.

You gave me your advice. Thank you. Let me give some back? Put some common sense in your work and you will better off serve your future clients. Make it make sense to them. In this case I think I'm right. Chances are, they might think their right. Until you make it make sense to the contrary.

These were the two alternatives offered to me from my attonrey: 1). make it go away, or 2). spend a penny & win a case for an illegal stop (based on his search for stolen vehicles at random). It was a minor misdemeanor offense. so any knowledge of the illegal plate swap on our part would not have been gained etc... you get the picture.

I know I am right on both accounts. But I chose to make it go away.

BelizeBreeze

baker8 said:
I think it is you. I haven't made excuses. I've asked questions. I admitted I was in the wrong right off the bat. I think the officer was way out of line. And he's a parttimer who prolly just wants the extra $200 to pad his christmas wallet for a court appearance. he's the one busted now.

You gave me your advice. Thank you. Let me give some back? Put some common sense in your work and you will better off serve your future clients. Make it make sense to them. In this case I think I'm right. Chances are, they might think their right. Until you make it make sense to the contrary.

These were the two alternatives offered to me from my attonrey: 1). make it go away, or 2). spend a penny & win a case for an illegal stop (based on his search for stolen vehicles at random). It was a minor misdemeanor offense. so any knowledge of the illegal plate swap on our part would not have been gained etc... you get the picture.

I know I am right on both accounts. But I chose to make it go away.
You broke the law.

You were too lazy to take care of what you KNEW was your responsibility.

You make excuses for not doing what you KNEW was your legal responsibility.

You got caught.

Now you're here making even more excuses.

And finally, you make outlandish claims of improper and illegal activities as a last-ditch effort to save face.

baker8

I have reported you the the room monitor. good luck trying to post your opinions in here in the future. I never once made an excuse for breaking the law. i told you what I did and why. You don't have to agree. Appreciate that I told you the truth. I admitted that I did it ON PURPOSE, and I sought forum advice on the officer's wrongdoing. (See the title of my thread) It seems to bother you that I made a conscious decision to break the law. get over it.

I came back in here to tell you the officer is making a formal apology to me on Monday. It helps when you're a criminal like me to first off help the Judge get elected and attend fundraisers with the Mayor and The Public Safety Chair. Enjoy your life with the little people.

Curt581

I just love busting useless, snooty, hot-house-flower spoiled brat princesses like you. I'll bet that cop is kicking himself for not throwing you in the clink for Obstructing when he had the chance.

I guess I'll have to console myself with the fact that it won't be long before "the bloom will be off the rose"... the wrinkles will start to form, various body parts will succumb to gravity, and the rich hubbie whose money you're so good at spending will be eyeing up his 20-something receptionist. It won't be so bad... you'll do fine living on the alimony. I'm sure the girls at the country club will have plenty of sympathy.

1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">