• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long are records held? Class A misdemeanor...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jewell_diva

What is the name of your state? Missouri

About 5 years ago, an insufficient funds check was returned unpaid. I was in college, and unaware of this. Eventually (more than 3 years later), I was in a car accident, and when my lisence was run, the warrant popped up. I was taken in, and I paid all my fines, court costs, and even opted to pay an additional $200 to take a budgeting class. The judge and prosecuting attorney offer to remove the criminal record as an incentive for first-time offenders to participate the budgeting course. I passed my course, and presented the certificate to the judge, at which time he said he would have the whole incident removed from my record. I have not had one single check bounce is over 5 years now.

Why I'm now freaking out:
I'm trying to become a realtor in another state. They are doing a criminal background check that has taken more than 3 weeks now. I am really scared they will find the old charge! I have paid for various criminal records searches online, and have also gone to the county website for closed and pending cases and warrants... and I'm CLEAR everywhere. I know that there are certain groups of people who will always have sufficient intelligence to my past (FBI, CIA, other gov. groups)... but when the judge says its will be "erased," what does that REALLY mean? What are the chances that a record check company will find something?

When a judge says it will be erased, it REALLY means, like you know.....like Bill Gates means when he says "erased"...
it disappears, but it is still there, but everybody pretends it is gone, unless somebody finds it, then renames it, so it is "erased"...lol.

Anything on anybody is out there. That's for sure:

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=/ramasastry/20031105.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030602-darpa-life01.htm

Just depends on what benefits arise in finding it. I would not lose any sleep if I was in your shoes...

jewell_diva

Update

The background check came back clear, but just to be honest with the real estate commission, I submitted a personal description of circumstances surrounding my charge (as requested) and a certified copy of the record from the county where the incident occured.

I have a question about the records... here's what some of the text says:

"Aug 24 2004 Comes now State by Prosecuting Attorney and Defendant in person. Defendant arraigned and information is read to defendant and enters a plea of not guilty. Cause continued to 10/05/2004 @ 9:00 am."

"Oct 5 2004 State by prosecuting attorney. Defendant in person. The case is continued to 10/12/2004 @ 9:00 am."

"Oct 12 2004 Dismissed by State at Defendant's costs."

"Oct. 12 2004 JIS Conversion Entry."

OK... first of all, what is a JIS Conversion Entry, and second, does "dismissed" mean "dropped" or "closed"?

Kane

Dismissed is the same as dropped or closed. I don't know what "JIS conversion entry" is, most likely it's computer code.

mrsprocessor

Class A misdemeanor

My state is North Carolina.

I too had a returned check for insufficient funds back in 1998. I received a notice from the courthouse advising I needed to contact them immediately. The very next day after I got the notice I went and paid for the check and the court cost. I never appeared in front of a judge or anything. I asked if that was it and was told yes. I went on about my life never getting into a situation like that again. In 2003 I applied for a job at a bank and was advised that I had a felony charge on my crimminal report. I was in shock that the return check issue appeared on my crimminal report. I have never been in trouble with the law at all. I even worked for this bank before and they hired me and then advised me that they would have to withdraw the offer due to the results of my crimminal report. How long will this stay on my record and can I have it removed. It is keeping me from getting the job I want. Not to mention it's embarrassing. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">