• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unhappy Ending...Purchased Car from Friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coccopebbles

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I put a down payment of 300.00 towards of the purchase of a car from a friend. This friend told me that the car had 4 things wrong with it, which was no problem. Once I got the car looked at by a mechanic, it turned out to have a serious gas leak, which was not told to me before hand. I spoke with the friend and she informed me that she would refund my money. Well the day came and went and I did not recieve any money. A few days later the car was towed from in front of my house because it had "bad" plates. I was unaware of the fact that the plates were bad until I spoke with the salvage yard that held the car. I spoke with the friend to inform her of the events and to ask why she hadn't told me the plates were bad. She insists that she told me, however I have witnesses to the contrary. She told me that she would bring me my money the next day...but did not, instead she said that is was my fault the car got towed and she didn't owe me anything. I would like to take this matter to small claims court. Can anyone offer any advice on what my options are?

racer72

I think your odds of winning in small claims court is slim and none and slim just left town. Without any specific warranty by the seller, the purchase is considered "as-is". As the purchaser of a used vehicle, it is up to you the buyer to have the vehicle inspected and know the status of the licensing before, not after the purchase. Google "caveat emptor".

Thanks for the line seniorjudge, it worked very well here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">