• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment/Wrongful Termination over sickleave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WarlockofWRP

What is the name of your state? Texas

I work for an Airline, which stresses safety constantly. I have had problems with my employer in the past. They've told me that calling in sick would result in termination, dispite a doctor's note. They have demanded that I reveal to them private medical information for the purpose of keeping my job.
Anytime I have called in sick in the past they've made constant insinuations that I'm calling in sick merely for a day off, dispite a doctor's note, and at times even a note from THEIR COMPANY DOCTOR.
There are others with far worse attendance records than myself, though I'm a young white male with no disabilities. I simply had a problem with migranes in the past. Oddly my doctor continues to swear that he has sent the Family Leave forms for those migranes to the company, but the company contends they've never recieved them.

Yes texas is At will and Right to Work.
I am however wondering if I should be treated as a criminal merely for being legitimately ill? IF they are going to fire me then just fire me, but are they allowed to use such abuse as well? They have an entire department who's only purpose is a threat against employees calling in sick, and staffed by managers who search for reasons to fire employees, including using records from departments and other companies under the same corperation to justify their actions.

Beth3

They've told me that calling in sick would result in termination, dispite a doctor's note. A doctor's note is not a "get out of jail free" card. Your employer has no obligation to excuse your absences because you have a doctor's note.

They have demanded that I reveal to them private medical information for the purpose of keeping my job. They have the right to request that information.

Anytime I have called in sick in the past they've made constant insinuations that I'm calling in sick merely for a day off, dispite a doctor's note, and at times even a note from THEIR COMPANY DOCTOR. There's nothing illegal about that.

There are others with far worse attendance records than myself, though I'm a young white male with no disabilities. I simply had a problem with migranes in the past. Oddly my doctor continues to swear that he has sent the Family Leave forms for those migranes to the company, but the company contends they've never recieved them. Then ask the doctor's office for a copy of the forms (I expect they kept a copy for your file) or have the doctor fill out new forms and when they're completed, you should personally give them to your HR rep. That way there can be no question about whether the FMLA forms were completed and that your employer received them. If you have to mail them to a location different from the one you work at, send them registered mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">