• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I return a car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melmo

What is the name of your state? Mississippi/Louisiana*

*I know that doesn't make sense....we live in MS, bought the car in LA, but paid MS taxes---not sure what state to which this will apply...

Bought a vehicle two weeks ago from a used dealership..the air wasn't very cold, so the dealer and I drove the car to a local garage, where they charged the air conditioner and also put in the dye, and we were to have the light shone into the air conditioner line two weeks later to see if there was a leak and where it is.

Took it into a different mechanic yesterday, who says that there has been some sort of accident, or something was hit with this vehicle, because the radiator has been pushed up, into another part (can't remember the name of it), and that part pused into the compressor where the leak is.

I called the dealer (the same one who told me they'donly had the car for a few days, but that it had never been wrecked [according to Carfax and their mechanic]), and told him what we found. He THEN tells me "oh yeah, we've tried to have that fixed 3 or 4 times before but couldn't, so just bring it back in here and our guys will do it for free".....uh, hello? he KNEW it was damaged...he had TRIED to fix it before (and what does he mean they tried? either they fixed it or they didn't)

Oh, and even though it was used (2003 Dodge Stratus), we bought a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty from the dealer, which from what I've read, makes it applicable to be a "lemon" (even though it's used).

Is there anything I can do? They only want to have THEIR guys TRY AGAIN to repair it...no way. I really want to put it back on their lot!

I had a "nightmare" situation with a Cirrus (basically the same car as a Stratus) I sold to my apartment managers, a nice couple in their 60's. While this vehicle had never been wrecked as significantly as yours apparently was, we must've had the freon voided from the unit 5 times to do various checks.

Taking out the freon to perform whatever checks they do, and recharging it is quite expensive, especially since they were unable to find the problem. I even took it to the local Dodge dealer and they said "some work better than others". The car was still under factory warranty.

While it's likely that the accident did the damage, sometimes it's just a question of design and/or execution. If you can get a different car, I'd think about it, as the ac could be just the beginning of your problems

teflon_jones

melmo said:
Oh, and even though it was used (2003 Dodge Stratus), we bought a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty from the dealer, which from what I've read, makes it applicable to be a "lemon" (even though it's used).
Where did you read this totally untrue information?

melmo said:
Is there anything I can do? They only want to have THEIR guys TRY AGAIN to repair it...no way. I really want to put it back on their lot!
The only thing you can do is take this as a lesson learned. ALWAYS get a used car inspected by a independent 3rd party before purchasing it. If the seller refuses, walk away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">