• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lexi48

What is the name of your state?KS

This is not really a legal question but I hope someone will have some advice for me. I am trying to find a job. I recently applied at a temp. company. I recieved an email from them today saying that they contacted my most recent employer and was told they will not give any reference due to company policy. I know and told this person that my former supervisor said if there was another position in the co. I would be considered for that position. I understand they can say anything they wish as long as it is true and not medically related. I think a lot of companies use this policy of not saying anything, except dates of employment ect. due to lawsuits. My problem is this: this temp. company will not work for me because they cannot get any reference and I have no idea where my supervisor from the company I worked for previously is due to the fact the co. closed up. This temp. agency said it is very important to keep in contact with former supervisors but that can be impossible due to downsizing and co. closings. I was able to give them 2 names from previous employments that I was lucky enough to know where they are. They both give good references but this temp. says those places were too long ago and they need current references. I cannot control what a co. says or does not say. I am afraid I am not being considered for other jobs I have applied for due to this. Does anyone have any advice for me. Like I said, I realize this is not a legal question and I am sorry about that but am hopeing someone can give me some advise. Is it common practice that they need to have most current references if you can provide references from previous employers as you do not know where people end up? Thanks so much.

Lexi48

BelizeBreeze

Tell this agency that if they wish to re-write policy for your references then that is a matter between them and your former employer.

Otherwise, you have supplied the necessary facts and if they do not wish to utilize your services, you will find another temp agency which will be happy to earn an income from your experience.

then do so.

Beth3

Is it common practice that they need to have most current references if you can provide references from previous employers as you do not know where people end up? Yes. When I'm checking references, I want to speak to the candidate's most recent three or four places of employment. Among other things, I want to make sure the employee hasn't lied about anything and wasn't discharged for some heinous misconduct.

You may need to try and track some individuals down you previously worked for or with to provide references. Do you know how to contact any of your former colleagues? They may know where a supervisor is now working or steer you to someone who would know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">