• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writing a nove, and want to cover my butt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobbylucas

I am writing a novel and I have 4 questions.
1. should I copy right the title?
2. can I use local business or colleges in my novel?
3. Is it OK to use local business, and university's in my novel if I place a disclaimer at the beginning stating that it is a work of fiction, and the content in no way discribes (Put college or business names here).
4. HOW SHOULD MY DISCLAIMER BE WRITTEN FOR MY NOVEL?

ANY SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE IS WELCOME!

ALawyer

1. should I copy right the title?

You'll want to copyright the entire book. I guess you could file for a TRADEMARK on the title.

2. can I use local business or colleges in my novel?

Yes. But see below.

3. Is it OK to use local business, and university's in my novel if I place a disclaimer at the beginning stating that it is a work of fiction, and the content in no way discribes (Put college or business names here).

Yes. But see below.

4. HOW SHOULD MY DISCLAIMER BE WRITTEN FOR MY NOVEL?

Carefully. Once you find a publisher, it will take care of that and handle the legal reviview. The publisher's lawyers are the expert on this.

ANY SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE IS WELCOME!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">