• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassed for having an Interoffice Relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

L. Cartney

I am involved in a relationship with a fellow employee who recently moved-in next door. There is nothing written in the Employee Handbook about interoffice relationships and all interaction at work is on a professional and business level (I work primarily from my home). Yesterday, the CEO, Vice President and Operations Manager met first with him, then with me and asked if we are involved in a sexual relationship. When both of us advised them that it was not their business, we were told they have consulted the company attorney and they continued asking if we were intimate and having intercourse. They say their reason for knowing is to insure that neither of us is doing anything against our will that might lead to a sexual harassment suite. Both of us advised them that we have become good friends, so neither feels threatened and based on our outstanding performance our “friendship” does not affect our job. The CEO told us the attorney is sending papers to be signed by both of us. I am one of two women in my position and on rare occasion travel with this fellow employee and other male employees. The CEO told me I am required to drive in a separate vehicle when I work with my friend because I am a woman.

Are we obligated to answer these questions?
Do we sign papers from the attorney?
Should I stop traveling with all male employees because I am a woman?

C

codderkate

Signer Beware

First of all, I am not an attorney. Nonetheless, before I signed "anything", I'd consult a private employment attorney before you put your name on any dotted line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">