• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demoted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bryan U

What is the name of your state? Missouri. I went to school for a year to become a medical assistant (ma) and have worked in a doctor's office as such for about 7 months. Now my employer is telling me I would be better suited as a receptionist because the ma job is going to be offered to an LPN, someone with more training and experience. However, the truth is that it won't be an LPN replacing me, but another ma who happens to be a relative of one of my bosses. Is this legal?

pattytx

Yes, it is legal, because there is no law prohibiting it. The employer does not need to give you any reason at all, and can even give a false one. And nepotism is not illegal. Having said that, it is poor employee relations and lying to your employees is like the boy crying wolf. Good luck in the future. You'll find something better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">