• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retalitant Discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMWILLEE2

What is the name of your state?
Michigan.
I was hired approximately 14 months ago for the purpose of cleaning up the medical billing that was left undone for almost 1 year. In addition, the former office manage was found guilty of embezzlement. These two issues resulted in the business nearly going bankrupt. After the first 8 months of work, I was successful in billing out all of the outstanding claims and implemented a multitude of procedural changes, all of which resulted in an increase in revenues of 149% over the previous years income, all of which is documented. During this period of work, the boss was constantly on my back about getting the work done quicker, and that it was never enough. On one evening in particular, after working for 13 hours already, the boss told me "I expect you to work from sun-down to sun-up if necessary". When I told him that "if I didn't go home now, I may not have a family to go home to", his reply was "if you do go home now, you may not have a job to come back to". I did leave that night, and continued to work there for approximately 6 months following that incident. However, the tension was always there and the satisfaction of income was never sufficient. Though the company was now working in the black, and was able to reinstate the corporate savings account with significant monthly deposits, the boss decided to dismiss me stating the he could no longer justify my salary. My analogy of the entire situation is this: I was as good as a paper towel. I was hired to clean up a huge mess, and once cleaned up I was just thrown away. Do I have any type of case in this matter?

pattytx

Short of a valid, enforcement contract prohibiting your termination for such a reason, no, you do not. "Wrongful termination" has a legal definition, i.e. termination for a reason specifically prohibited by law, such as race, gender, age, ethnic origin, or whistleblowing regarding violations of law reported to the appropriate outside agency.

This guy took advantage of you and you came through with flying colors. The increase in revenue is going to look terrific on your resume. File for unemployment and look for a position with a company who will appreciate your knowledge and dedication.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">