• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I file charges? 2nd Degree Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbutler007

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Two months ago, my girlfriend and I broke up. On the night she moved out of our apartment, I was jumped outside the apartment by her brother and her ex boyfriend. They threatened to kill me, then her brother shoved me down on the concrete steps (I hit my head), then stood over me and punched me in the face. Then they both drove off. My glasses broke, I had a few bruises and an ugly cut above my eye. I called 911, the police came out and filed a report stating it was 2nd degree assault and to file charges go to court. I declined going to the hospital.
I've been seeing a psychiatrist for the last couple months because of depression. This episode hurt me a lot more emotionally then physically as I was afraid to leave the house. I moved in with my parents and broke the lease on my apartment because I no longer felt safe.
I havent filed charges yet because I was waiting for things to settle down and I needed to heal a little bit emotionally first (I couldnt have handled court at that time). My questions are:

Should I file charges now?
I know the two guys have prior arrests but I dont know for sure whats on their records, what will come of these charges?

My only fear is that her brother will get a slap on the wrist and I'll provoke him into more violence by pressing charges. What do you think would happen in court? Would I need a lawyer? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Just Blue

mbutler007 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Two months ago, my girlfriend and I broke up. On the night she moved out of our apartment, I was jumped outside the apartment by her brother and her ex boyfriend. They threatened to kill me, then her brother shoved me down on the concrete steps (I hit my head), then stood over me and punched me in the face. Then they both drove off. My glasses broke, I had a few bruises and an ugly cut above my eye. I called 911, the police came out and filed a report stating it was 2nd degree assault and to file charges go to court. I declined going to the hospital.
I've been seeing a psychiatrist for the last couple months because of depression. This episode hurt me a lot more emotionally then physically as I was afraid to leave the house. I moved in with my parents and broke the lease on my apartment because I no longer felt safe.
I havent filed charges yet because I was waiting for things to settle down and I needed to heal a little bit emotionally first (I couldnt have handled court at that time). My questions are:

Should I file charges now?
I know the two guys have prior arrests but I dont know for sure whats on their records, what will come of these charges?

My only fear is that her brother will get a slap on the wrist and I'll provoke him into more violence by pressing charges. What do you think would happen in court? Would I need a lawyer? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Okay...so what did you do to the x to cause her brother and xbf to beat you?

gawm

baystategirl said:
Okay...so what did you do to the x to cause her brother and xbf to beat you?
nothing he could of done justifies an assault. file charges, it's the only way to keep them from doing that again. Get a restraining order and invest in some pepper spray!

mbutler007

Do you think he'd get jail time for the assault or probation?

By the way, my ex gf was a compulsive liar, she told them I hurt her son which was untrue.

gawm

that will be up to the judge. your testimony on how this affected your life will play a role in that decision. Also his past record will play a role in that decision. lets say he has no priors, if you do nothing about this , he will think it is alright to do this to people which in turn will cause a great disservice to the next ex boyfriend she tells a lie about. Don't worry about what punishment he will get. Just make sure you hold him accountable for his actions towards you! ONLY WAY to do that is by pressing charges!

gawm

The DA will take care of all the criminal charges. The only thing you will need a lawyer for is if you decide to sue him in civil court. unless he got a lot of $, small claims would be the way to go and you don't need a lawyer for that. however it is better to wait until he has been convicted before you decide on that

Just Blue

gawm said:
nothing he could of done justifies an assault. file charges, it's the only way to keep them from doing that again. Get a restraining order and invest in some pepper spray!

I was not suggesting that an assault was justified...just that it would be strange if the brother and xbf beat him just for breaking up with gf! In other words...there is more to this story! ;)

gawm

baystategirl said:
I was not suggesting that an assault was justified...just that it would be strange if the brother and xbf beat him just for breaking up with gf! In other words...there is more to this story! ;)
i remember times in my life where i would of loved to beat the crap out of my ex's new boyfriend or sister's ex just because, no reason needed :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">