• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

handicap parking on private lots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mycarlb

What is the name of your state? New York...

I have a question regarding handicap parking and private parking lots. I work for a major telecommunications corporation and our parking lot is privately owned (have to pass through a security gate to enter)... I dislocated my knee a few weeks ago and my boss, along with the security, said I could park in the handicap zone until I heal. I am afraid to do this, because of another employee threatening to go to the police and report my car. He has a handicap sticker, and so I guess, even though I am using crutches... he feels I am abusing his rights...So, with the ice and snow, I am terrified I will fall if I park way out in the lot... but I don't want to come out of work and find my car gone either...

My question is, if the building security and company who owns the lot gives me permission to park there, will the city police come and tow me if that person reports me???

BelizeBreeze

Ask your HR department to issue you a temporary permit to park in the handicapped space or what provisions their policy allows

S

shell007

If you are actively seeing a doctor for your knee, the Doc's office can also supply you with the form to take to the DMV for a temp. handicap sticker. That way you can use it in everyparking lot everywhere until your knee heals.

mycarlb

That's what I am trying to get now... unfortunately, my DMV is very slow at processing... I was given a 2 week window, as so my employer was trying to accommodate me until I can get one... And where they all reassure me that a privately owned parking lot is different than a public one, I just don't want to break any laws and have my car towed.... but at the same time, I don't want to cause more injury to my knee by slipping and falling either...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">