• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana license, Speeding ticket out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilverJester

What is the name of your state? IN/GA

I have a Indiana driver's license and while down in Georgia, I got a speeding ticket. I was going with the flow of traffic but reguarless I was speeding (88 in a 65) so I got a ticket. Anyways, I read that some states don't do anything if you get a ticket in another state (I'm not sure what that law would be called). A friend told me that Indiana was one of those states, and therefore if I just pay the ticket (in georgia) I won't have to worry about points going on my license (also wondering if this ticket would go on my record if the above was true). So does anybody have any information on this?

racer72

Google "states drivers license compact" and/or "non resident violators compact". You will find a bunch of sites with info on how states trade and use non resident traffic ticket info.

sukharev

racer72 said:
Google "states drivers license compact" and/or "non resident violators compact". You will find a bunch of sites with info on how states trade and use non resident traffic ticket info.
FYI, a compact and its implementation are two different things. According to my personal knowledge, points do not transfer between states automatically, and even general out-of-state violations are not reported sometimes. Mine was a ticket in NJ, which did not show up on my record in MA.

SilverJester

one of the reasons I'm worried about this is that in Georgia it adds 2 points, but in Indina it adds 4 points. And I will be getting a license in Georgia soon, and in Georgia, if you're under 21 and have 4 or more points your license is suspended.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">