• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination based on sex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akfunnyface

What is the name of your state? Alaska

BACKGROUNG: Myself and two co-workers were terminated after going to a strip club where one of the attorneys that worked at the lawfirm we were working at was working. This attorney all of his prior girlfriends were strippers and I have known all of them and yes even seen them on stage.

SITUATION: Myself and two co-workers (all female) went out on a Friday night and went to a strip club where we sat down and ordered some drinks. My cell phone started ringing and this attorney left threatening voicemail on my cell phone and on my husbands cell phone. (We have kept the voicemails and have had them transcribed.) This attorney then showed up and had us kicked out of this bar where his girlfriend was working. We went to work Monday morning and within 5 minutes we had all been fired and were packing our personal items. We filed for unemployment and the owner of the lawfirm (not the attorney that fired us) stated on his form that we were not terminated for work related reasons. We have a pending claim with the Equal Rights Commission and they have filed a Complaint on our behalf for wrongful termination based on sex. (NOTE: all of the attorneys but one at this lawfirm all go to strip clubs, in fact I met one of them for the very first time at a strip club, and not one of them have ever been fired or repremanded for going to a strip club.) The response to the Complaint was that we were harrassing a "contract employee". This "contract employee" was the stripper girlfriend of the attorney that fired us. That night we had never seen her and we had no reason to believe that we could not go to this strip club. We were never told that we could not go there and I had known all of his other stripper girlfriends and had been to their place of employment (strip clubs), and I did not think that my place of employment could control were I go when I am not at work. We were not breaking any laws, and we were at a public place. I have also done some research and know that "contract employees" do not have the same benefits that an employee has and they do not have an employer / employee relationship.

QUESTION: We are going into a fact finding conference on Dec 7 and knowing that I am up against personal injury attorneys and what the one attorney is claiming I am needing some direction on what kind of questions to be prepared for and what kind of questions I should be asking them and what kind of questions that I need to make sure are asked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Karen

akfunnyface

Wrongful Termination Based on Sex

akfunnyface said:
What is the name of your state? Alaska

BACKGROUNG: Myself and two co-workers were terminated after going to a strip club where one of the attorneys that worked at the lawfirm we were working at was working. This attorney all of his prior girlfriends were strippers and I have known all of them and yes even seen them on stage.

SITUATION: Myself and two co-workers (all female) went out on a Friday night and went to a strip club where we sat down and ordered some drinks. My cell phone started ringing and this attorney left threatening voicemail on my cell phone and on my husbands cell phone. (We have kept the voicemails and have had them transcribed.) This attorney then showed up and had us kicked out of this bar where his girlfriend was working. We went to work Monday morning and within 5 minutes we had all been fired and were packing our personal items. We filed for unemployment and the owner of the lawfirm (not the attorney that fired us) stated on his form that we were not terminated for work related reasons. We have a pending claim with the Equal Rights Commission and they have filed a Complaint on our behalf for wrongful termination based on sex. (NOTE: all of the attorneys but one at this lawfirm all go to strip clubs, in fact I met one of them for the very first time at a strip club, and not one of them have ever been fired or repremanded for going to a strip club.) The response to the Complaint was that we were harrassing a "contract employee". This "contract employee" was the stripper girlfriend of the attorney that fired us. That night we had never seen her and we had no reason to believe that we could not go to this strip club. We were never told that we could not go there and I had known all of his other stripper girlfriends and had been to their place of employment (strip clubs), and I did not think that my place of employment could control were I go when I am not at work. We were not breaking any laws, and we were at a public place. I have also done some research and know that "contract employees" do not have the same benefits that an employee has and they do not have an employer / employee relationship.

QUESTION: We are going into a fact finding conference on Dec 7 and knowing that I am up against personal injury attorneys and what the one attorney is claiming I am needing some direction on what kind of questions to be prepared for and what kind of questions I should be asking them and what kind of questions that I need to make sure are asked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Karen

Gadfly

Thanks for posting that twice.

I sure hope you don't prepare any written documents for this legal firm. Your writting alone would be enough for termination.

akfunnyface

Advice?

Gadfly said:
Thanks for posting that twice.

I sure hope you don't prepare any written documents for this legal firm. Your writting alone would be enough for termination.
While my writing may have been off, I thought this was a place to get advice? I did not intend to post that twice. And no I did not do the legal writing! I thought this was a place to get advice not Criticism!

Gadfly

So what did you tell them that you failed to tell us? There is no mention of anything related to sex-bias or anything even remotely sexual in your statement.

The sex thing greatly affect what kinds of thing you should ask.

akfunnyface

Title of Complaint

HomeGuru said:
**A: not true. What is the exact heading of the complaint?
Equal Rights Commission Discrimination Complaint
Termination/ Sex

The Complaint States:
1: I am a female, thus I belong to a protected class.
2: I was qualified for the position and perfoming accordingly to the legitimate expectations of the employer.
3: On or about date, Respondent terminated for going to a strip club.
4: Other Respondent employees who are not female have gone to strip clubs and they were not terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">