• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

106 mph in a 65 mph on I - 57 - Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dapopa9

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I got pulled over by a state trooper recently on Interstate 57 in Illinois in some sort of speed trap.

Ticket marked: Speeding 106mph in a posted 65mph .

I have a court date set, and there isn't really much else to add about the ticket. I have no prior tickets or accidents.

I have a California License but was driving a rental car in Illinois, as I was in the state just visiting.

If I plead guilty, what will I get? (or what are the maximum fines/punishment?)
If I get an Attorney to represent me, approx how much$$?

dapopa9 said:
I would assume you would get suspended in Illinois, which California would probably follow suit. Ask CdwJava, he may know more about what California would do.

As for maximum fines, call the court you were cited into... they can tell you exactly the max.

dapopa9 said:
Dunno this one. Call around. But at that speed, this may be a viable option considering what $ you are facing w/ fines, suspensions, and insurance, etc.

sukharev

dapopa9 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I got pulled over by a state trooper recently on Interstate 57 in Illinois in some sort of speed trap.

Ticket marked: Speeding 106mph in a posted 65mph .

I have a court date set, and there isn't really much else to add about the ticket. I have no prior tickets or accidents.

I have a California License but was driving a rental car in Illinois, as I was in the state just visiting.

My suggestion is: show up in court (pay $300 round trip), and try to get the charges below license suspension limit in pre-trial conference with prosecutor. A lawyer may help there, but you will pay a lot and not necessarily get anything. My guess is (and not based on direct knowledge), this may transfer as an out-of-state moving violation to CA, with appropriate (but minimal) points, so it's suspension you need to worry about.

JETX

sukharev said:
My guess is (and not based on direct knowledge), this may transfer as an out-of-state moving violation to CA, with appropriate (but minimal) points, so it's suspension you need to worry about.
And of course, ignore any 'guesses'..... since this one is, as expected, also NOT correct.

JETX

sukharev said:
And, of course, your CORRECT advice is?
In this case, the correct advice was already given... by 'poohmantbb' in his post.

Your 'supplemental' post provided nothing to the OP... and didn't even answer the OP's questions anyway. :eek:

sukharev

JETX said:
In this case, the correct advice was already given... by 'poohmantbb' in his post.

Your 'supplemental' post provided nothing to the OP... and didn't even answer the OP's questions anyway. :eek:
OK, let me get the record straight here.

1) I am giving an advice, not merely answering direct questions. I am also honest as to whether my advice is based on knowledge or an educated guess. I believe poohmantbb has done the same thing, and was also "assuming", not stating facts.

2) With regards to the usefulness of my advice, it's up to OP to decide, not you. If you say that suggesting to try pretrial bargain to avoid license suspension is not a good advice, you are wrong, exactly because of what poohmantbb suggested, that is suspension in CA may follow. However, this is likely an exception to the rule, as generally out-of-state violations are poorly transferred, due to gross mismatches in judicial systems and poor IT support between states. Therefore, likelihood that any out-of-state violation is treated the same in CA is quite high (and of course, CA residents like Carl will know better than me).

JETX

sukharev said:
OK, let me get the record straight here.
Okay, let ME set the record straight here!!

1) I am giving an advice
No you're not. You are giving your GENERAL opinions... without ANY basis or knowledge of the law. And since this is a LEGAL ADVICE site.... your OPINION, if not based in law, is without value to the OP.

not merely answering direct questions.
Why not?? The entire purpose of this site is for people to ask questions of a LEGAL nature.... and to hopefully get LEGALLY accurate advice to those questions. If they want a moral or general 'opinion', they can post at the Oprah or Dr Phil websites.

I am also honest as to whether my advice is based on knowledge or an educated guess.
And where EXACTLY is that disclaimer in your post??

I believe poohmantbb has done the same thing, and was also "assuming", not stating facts.
You 'believe' incorrectly. Where in 'Poohmans' did he make ANY guess as to what impact this ticket might have on the OP in California?? He (poohman) ACCURATELY suggested that "Ask CdwJava, he may know more about what California would do."

2) With regards to the usefulness of my advice, it's up to OP to decide, not you.
See, you are mistaken again. OP's are often (and expected) to be ignorant of the laws.... that is why they are on this forum asking for advice. If your incorrect 'guesses' are the only response that they see, how are they to know that it is full of crap as we do??
So, yep, when appropriate, I 'warn' the OP to ignore ignorant responses to their posts. :D

If you say that suggesting to try pretrial bargain to avoid license suspension is not a good advice, you are wrong, exactly because of what poohmantbb suggested, that is suspension in CA may follow.
And EXACTLY where did the OP ask anything about a possible suspension of their California license???

However, if they had asked if there was any possible impact on their CA license due to a conviction (106 in a 65), the CORRECT answer would have been:
Yes. Both states (CA and IL) are members of the Drivers License Compact, so the IL conviction would be reported to CA. And according to the CA Vehicle Code (Section 15023.B), the violation would be treated the same in CA.... which is:
California Vehicle Code:
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

However, this is likely an exception to the rule, as generally out-of-state violations are poorly transferred, due to gross mismatches in judicial systems and poor IT support between states.
And where did you get that crap?? Please provide a link to ANYTHING to support your 'belief stated as fact'.

sukharev

JETX said:
And where EXACTLY is that disclaimer in your post??
"My guess is (and not based on direct knowledge)"

JETX said:
Where in 'Poohmans' did he make ANY guess as to what impact this ticket might have on the OP in California??
"I would assume you would get suspended in Illinois, which California would probably follow suit"

JETX said:
OP's are often (and expected) to be ignorant of the laws.... that is why they are on this forum asking for advice.
Seems you have quite low opinion about OP's and their questions. I take a different approach, I help them ask the right questions, whether they are LEGAL or not.

possible impact on their CA license due to a conviction (106 in a 65), the CORRECT answer would have been:
Yes. Both states (CA and IL) are members of the Drivers License Compact, so the IL conviction would be reported to CA. And according to the CA Vehicle Code (Section 15023.B), the violation would be treated the same in CA.... which is:
California Vehicle Code:
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
Is this your guess, or do you know of a single person this happened to? FYI, there is a difference between conviction and transfer of suspension. According to what you posted, the COURT may suspend the privilege. So, since there would be no court hearing in CA, conviction by itself would not trigger suspension. However, if license is suspended in IL, that fact may transfer separately and/or prevent license renewal in CA, but only in case if such suspension had no time limit (which is not the case in CA).
And where did you get that crap?? Please provide a link to ANYTHING to support your 'belief stated as fact'.
I'd leave it up to OP to google...

JETX

And as expected, your latest post is full of crap. Hell, you can't even read the CA laws when provided!!
Never mind... already answered when you ignored my reference to CA VC 15023(b).

Guess I will have to get out the old boot..... :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">