• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding using pace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbuc7

Speeding ticket using "Pace" - Please Help!!

I was recently pulled over and issued a citation in Cleveland, Ohio on I-90. The officer used pace as a method of speed measurement. Are there any general guidelines as to how long an officer should pace a vehicle prior to pulling the vehicle over?

Using notes I took, and GIS aerial imagery, I can determine that the officer could not have paced me more than 2000 feet (0.37 mi) based on where visual contact was made and where the citation was issued. The officer made visual contact with me as I was in the right most lane, and he was travelling (on motorcycle) in the left most lane during moderate rush hour traffic. I was approaching an on-ramp and could see numerous vehicles entering and approaching the interstate. Vehicles were in the middle lane, and I sped up to ensure that I could safely surpass the merging traffic without incident. In the short time the officer was behind me, he said to have paced my speed at 75 MPH in a 60 MPH zone.

Do I have much of a case here?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

nbuc7 said:
Are there any general guidelines as to how long an officer should pace a vehicle prior to pulling the vehicle over?
No. It can be 1 foot if they can articulate your speed.

nbuc7 said:
I can determine that the officer could not have paced me more than 2000 feet (0.37 mi)
That is a long way... Not a good argument.

nbuc7 said:
I sped up to ensure that I could safely surpass the merging traffic without incident.
But you sped up. Not a justifiable reason. The judge will have heard that a million times.

nbuc7 said:
Do I have much of a case here?
Nope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">