• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SUE A FRIEND OVER CAR PAYMENTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SHAWNLEW

I WAS IN THE MILITARY AND HELPED A FRIEND PURCASE A CAR. THE CAR IS IN MY NAME AND HE WAS MAKING THE PAYMENTS. HE WENT TO KOREA AND NOW REFUSES TO MAKE THE PAYMENTS OR LET ME KNOW WHERE THE CAR IS SO I CAN RETURN IT TO THE DEALER. I HAVE BEEN MAKING THE PAYMENTS AND HE WILL NOT EVEN PAY ME THAT MONEY BACK. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET MY MONEY BACK?

I HAVE CONTACTED A MILITARY LAWYER AND THEY CANNOT HELP ME BECAUSE I AM NO LONGER IN THE MILITARY. I RESIDE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS. I HAVE THE PAPERWORK FROM THE BANK WHERE HE MADE PAYMENTS AND I MADE PAYMENTS BUT WE DID NOT HAVE A WRITTEN AGREEMENT JUST AN ALLOTMENT MADE OUT TO ME. I ALSO HAVE HIS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE BANK STATEMENTS WHERE HE WAS MAKING THE PAYMENTS.

[Edited by SHAWNLEW on 11-29-2000 at 06:33 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I don't think military law would necessarily apply but here are my thoughts:

1) check with a military attorney
2) did you have a written contract?
3) can you get canceled checks showing his payments, and then yours?
4) can you show some writing as to this agreement?
5) if all else fails and the military attorney deems this a non military issue, take him to small claims court.

What state is this?
I can give you a site to check the small claims court, but remember, there are jurisdictional limits on the amount you can recover, so check that too.

https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/smallclaimscourts.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">