• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket..do I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fhcaptain

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was travelling down a 55mph zoned road, topped a hill and saw a 40mph posted limit sign. About 15 yards beyond that a policeman laying in wait facing in the direction I was travelling. I slowed down and was doing about 43 mph when I passed the sign. Other vehicles were directly behind me as well as coming from the opposite direction. The officer pulled out and after passing the cars behind me, made his way up to me and pulled me over. His very FIRST remarks were to lay the groundwork for his ticket. Not "may I see your license and registration" or "are you aware of how fast you were travelling?", but "before you passed that sign there was another sign a little further back stating what the posted limit is. I clocked you doing 13 mph over the limit." So now I am looking at a $150 fine and 2 points. I do not live in that area and was unaware of the fact that apparently that is the favorite spot for officers issuing tickets until I looked it up online for speed traps. Not that that matters. What does matter is do I fight or do I pay?

snostar

fhcaptain said:
I do not live in that area and was unaware of the fact that apparently that is the favorite spot for officers issuing tickets until I looked it up online for speed traps. Not that that matters. What does matter is do I fight or do I pay?
Right, it doesn't matter. Show up for court, you will likely be offered to plead to a lesser speed.

sukharev

Go back and look at the sign officer was referring to. If it's there, but hidden behind some obsticle, take a photo and bring to court. Google up MUTCD. Also, check if there was a speed survey done on that road. You are looking at a ticket worth fighting, 13 mph over is not nearly as bad as 20+.

F

Father O'Mally

fhcaptain said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was travelling down a 55mph zoned road, topped a hill and saw a 40mph posted limit sign. About 15 yards beyond that a policeman laying in wait facing in the direction I was travelling. I slowed down and was doing about 43 mph when I passed the sign. Other vehicles were directly behind me as well as coming from the opposite direction. The officer pulled out and after passing the cars behind me, made his way up to me and pulled me over. His very FIRST remarks were to lay the groundwork for his ticket. Not "may I see your license and registration" or "are you aware of how fast you were travelling?", but "before you passed that sign there was another sign a little further back stating what the posted limit is. I clocked you doing 13 mph over the limit." So now I am looking at a $150 fine and 2 points. I do not live in that area and was unaware of the fact that apparently that is the favorite spot for officers issuing tickets until I looked it up online for speed traps. Not that that matters. What does matter is do I fight or do I pay?

You know you were at fault. It's time to get down on your knees to do some praying. I know I will be praying for you. Perhaps, you can also send me some money too, since you'll be paying plenty to the State. Or, you can just get down on your knees for me, and do some inhaling.

Father O'Mally

sukharev

Father O'Mally said:
You know you were at fault. It's time to get down on your knees to do some praying. I know I will be praying for you. Perhaps, you can also send me some money too, since you'll be paying plenty to the State. Or, you can just get down on your knees for me, and do some inhaling.Father O'Mally
Sorry, Father, I am an atheist...

fhcaptain, ignore the wise a**, he's got no life in a monastery :)

Just make a decision if you are going to fight it, and if yes, a few people here can give some pointers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">