• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY - Workers Comp Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LarryJenkins

What is the name of your state? NY

I received a notice from a collection agency against my small business. The agency is collecting on behalf of NY Workers Compensation.

Now, no personal name was on the notice, and the company name was not my company's name!!! It was obviously supposed to be my company, but the name was off by 2 letters.

My company itself is exempt from workers' comp, as myself and my wife are the only employees, and are both owners. A worker from the NYS Workers Comp board confirmed this, and just said that I needed to send a letter in stating this, which I did. But it's possible that this letter got mixed up - the date of the claim is around the date I sent the letter.

Either way, the collection letter is not addressed to ME or MY COMPANY. So, I'm really confused how to handle it. Should I ignore the letter? Should I try to straighten things out? I'm afraid that if I contact them, they will learn my name and my company's correct name, and will come after me. (Although, like I said, in truth my company was NOT subject to worker's comp, it is very hard to resolve things once they have gone to collection, especially if the paperwork got messed up...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">